• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need Advice Please

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

so_confused

What is the name of your state? TN

Hi, if anyone can help me I would very much appreciate it.

I have been divorced for 11 years but he and I got back together about 6 months after the divorce was final and have been living together for the past 9 years. He and I never remarried. I am not on the deed to the home but I am on the home loan. I am also on the loan to his vehicle and he is on the loan to mine. All utility bills are in my name. Home owners insurance is in both our names. My name is on everything but the deed to the home. He and I recently decided to part ways, for many reasons and I won't bore you all with the details unless they are relevant.. I do not have a problem with leaving the home once I find another place to live. He is telling me I have until this weekend (the 29th) to be out of "his" house because I am just a tenant in "his" home. Can he do this? If I am considered just a tenant in the home (since my name isn't on the deed) does he have the right to give me only 2 days to vacate? If I am viewed as just a tenant and he is basically evicting me does he not have to serve me with eviction papers first? As I said I don't care to leave the home and I will leave but I need a little more than 2 days to do so. How will he and I get one anothers names off each others vehicle loans, insurances, etc.? With the utilites being in my name, do I have the right to have them turned off before I leave even if he hasn't made arrangements to have his services turned on?

I am going to seek the aid of an attorney next week. I just need to come up with the money first. I guess I just need some advice now to either put my mind at ease somewhat for a few days or make me hit the panic button now instead of later.

Thank you in advance for any responses.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
He must follow the landlord tenant laws of the state in which you reside. Which normally call for a 30 day notice given before the next time "rent" is due -- probably the first. And it should be given in writing. Tell him if he wants to be a landlord, he needs to follow the landlord tenant laws for the state. Oh and also tell him he needs to refinance you off the mortgage or you will take him back to court.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">