• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Please help, NEED advice asap - Horrid boss/Unemployment compensation rejection

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LunaRaven80

What is the name of your state? MA

I'm sorry this is long but I am looking for advice on what I should do. I worked for a very small embroidery & t-shirt pressing shop. (4-5 people, the boss & his son, sales rep, another woman & myself, ) I enjoyed the work I did but feel I was forced to quit my job because my boss was extremely uncooperative when I tried to talk to him about my concerns.

Our sales contact person left within a year of me being there. Just about every day my ex-boss came back from lunch he was a bit tipsy. He would occaisionally stumble and slur words. I later learned he usually had brandy alexanders or other drinks during his lunch because we all went out for lunch one time. I notice because he would usually get very loud, rude and derogatory to his son calling him names and putting him down all the time. (gossip and yelling was close to every day) Unfortunately it didn't always require alcohol to make him that way, he was just a very sneaky mean person. (His son is permanently in an electric wheelchair with MD). :(

I was very uncomfortable all the time he would start yelling and then gossiping with the other woman. (close friends) She and I did not get along, maybe it was the age difference but she was very two-faced and always interrupted me so she could be the center of attention. (I'm 25 she's 58) I am usually a quiet worker and do better by myself. I don't like to talk while I'm working so I can concentrate. We had our own duties - she on the embroidery machines, and I on the t-shirt press. Sometimes we had to work together because our work load was usually uneven. I even brought in my own mp3 player to listen to even though they had a stereo they used very rarely and it wouldn't help drown them out.

When I tried to talk to him the day I left, he called me a child and ridiculous and to get over the argument when the other woman came yelling at me earlier. He even said things like "I don't give a sh*t about your personal life, all I care about is my work." :eek: I asked him to listen to me because he would not let me talk, but I managed to say it didn't look like it was working anymore. He said "yeah, we've been talking and are getting sick of it." He never once came to me if he noticed anything.

I just got refused unemployment compensation and I feel my story was not heard in full. I was cut short by the rep. Plus, my information on my claim is wrong, it has an employer and wages that I do not know. I called and they said it was another name on my ssn. (I just now got the wrong info resolved, they took it off) It was labeled as voluntary quit for personality conflict with the only other woman and I "made no attempt to resolve prior to leaving." That's wrong.

On top of that, the next day after I was gone, he spoke to someone else about my situation outside of work at the post office. This person was my aunt but regardless I feel it was none of her business what he told her. And he said I would have to apologize and he'd take me back! I have the emails telling me of this. I just moved to another town and my significant other lost his job so it was a stressful time. (he was on the phone with me when it happened so he heard what my ex-boss said to me.) I took my last few vaca days to make a long weekend and when I returned, this happened. I am going to appeal my determination and only have about a week to do it. Please tell me what you think. Thank you in advance.

Last edited:

ecmst12

Paragraphs are your friend.

If they denied your unemployment claim, appeal it. But it will be easier if you have documentation to support your allegations.

LunaRaven80

Ouch, a little harsh.

I'm sorry it wasn't in paragraphs, I was just copying and pasting from another site I had to give my story to ask for help.

Thank you for your advice I really appreciate you taking the time to answer. I've been through it so many times and just a little drained.

fairisfair

appeal, the burden of proof is on your employer. Get your facts and any supporting documentation in order, be direct, honest and to the point. All of the emotional information that you included in THIS post, may in fact work against you in the unemployment hearing, it makes you sound like you may well have done what they are accusing you of. IMHO>

lany00738

i CAN REALLY IDENTIFY WITH YOUR CASE. I QUIT MY JOB BC I FELT I WAS OBLIGATED BC MY BOSS WAS CONSTANTLY YELLING AT ME WHEN HE WAS MAD AND THE DAY I GAVE MY 2 WEEKS NOTICE HE CALLED ME A THIEF. I TRIED TO SOLVE MY DIFFERENCES WITH HIM FOR 6 MONTHS TRYING TO GET TRANSFER FROM DEPARTMENT BUT NEVER HAPPEND.

NEEDLESS TO SAY MY UNEMPLOYMENT WAS DENIED BC I "VONLUNTARY QUIT" I WAS FURIOUS BC I QUIT BC I WAS BEING HARASSED AND I APPEALED AND GOT IT APROVED 2 WEEKS AGO THEY DETERMINED I QUIT BC I WAS BEING HARASSED SO NOW I'M AWAITING TO SEE MY LAWYER TO SUE THEM FOR HARASSMENT.

HOPE THIS HELPS.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">