• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

music ownership

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

carmond

my guitar player has written 9 songs and has copywritten them through washington. an unknown investor liked his stuff and offered to pay for recording of and production of his music. we recorded the music and had demos made and have been awaiting word on what happens next. no contact has been made with us and when we questioned if we can do anything with the demos the producer says that we no longer have rights to the music and can't do anything with the demo's. all we want to do is to continue on where the investor left off. do we have the rights to use the cd that was paid for by someone else..ie. studio time..professional musicians..thank you.....Rick

L

lawrat

I am a law school graduate. What I offer is mere information, not to be construed as forming an attorney client relationship.

You got to look at what you signed. Did you unkowingly assign your copyright? What was the deal? If he is merely a producer, you own the copyright but must pay him royalties based on the songs if you get an artist/publishing deal.

Go back through the copyright office in d.c. and see if there any records of assignment of ownership.

C

carmond

hanks a lot lawrat....your advice will be very helpful..we are in the process of doing what you suggested..........

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">