• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Lawsuit within limits of policy -- deposition??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Trachemys

What is the name of your state? California

It's a privelege to have a lawyer supplied to me by the insurance company ... or is it?

I am being sued for the amount of my car insurance policy limits, no more no less.

So why don't they just cover me?

Does every insurance company do this?

shortbus

In California, an insurer's coverage typically includes a "duty to defend", ie. pay for your defense. If you're having a problem getting the coverage you paid for, call the Calif state insurance commissioner's office.

stephenk

Just because the plaintiff is demanding your policy limit does not mean your carrier believes the case is worth the policy limit.

Your deposition is being set so your version of the accident can be obtained. Being inconvenienced is not a valid reason for your carrier to pay policy limits. your testimony might be the reason the case is worth less than what is being demanded.

ecmst12

Just because you give a deposition doesn't mean it will ever go to trial either. But why would you want your insurance company to pay more then the case is worth? This is how they stay in business - by not paying out more then they have to.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">