• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My car was hit and no one will pay

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jcmccord

What is the name of your state? Texas

I was involved in a three car accident about 2 months ago. My car was hit by a truck in the lane next to me while he was trying to avoid another car (or so he says) making an unsafe left turn onto the street we were on. A police report was made but no one was given a citation. I filed claims with both of the other drivers' insurance companies as well as my own. After a long wait both of the other insurance companies have denied my claims saying that their respective drivers were not "majorly' at fault for the accident. Seeing that I was not majorly injured I am having trouble finding a lawyer to represent me.

So what I am wondering is:
1. If I can find a lawyer to represent me, can I sue for legal fees because I had no choice but a lawsuit?
2. If I am going to sue, do I file against the driver or the insurance company?
3. Can I sue for things such as time of work due to pain, pain and suffering, being without a vehicle for over 2 months and having to find alternate transportation?
4. Does anyone have links to information that would aid me in the filing of a lawsuit?

Sorry if these questions are dumb but I have never been in an accident before and I do not know what else to do. Thanks for help!

shortbus

1. No, the lawyer gets a cut of the recovery (often, 1/3 + expenses)

2. Sue the drivers -- they injured you.

3. Yes, if they were all caused by the accident. But, it's hard to claim large pain & suffering / lost wages if your medical expenses were small.

4. This website has a "Find a Lawyer" link at the top. Try that.

If you're having trouble finding a lawyer, it may be the size of the case -- it may also be that the "fault" is too difficult to prove.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">