• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Harassment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lany00738

Hostile Workplace? or Harassment?

What is the name of your state? FLORIDA

I QUIT MY JOB BC MY BOSS CALLED ME A THIEF BC WE WERE ARGUING. i WENT TO THE OFFICE AND GAVE MY 2 WEEKS NOTICE. I HAD BEEN DEALING WITH THAT BOSS FOR 6 MONTHS AND I ASKED FOR THE "BIGGER" BOSS TO PLEASE TRANSFER ME FROM DEPARTMENT AND HE SAID "I'LL SEE WHAT I COULD DO" BUT NEVER DID ANYTHING. I FILED FOR UNEMPLOYMENT AND IT WAS DENIED BC I QUIT VOLUNTARY SO I APPEAL THE DAY OF THE HEARING THE WERE LYING, THE HR SECREATRY AND MANAGER SAID I HAD QUIT BC I WANTED TO GO BACK TO SCHOOL. MY AREA COORDINATOR SAID THAT MY BOSS SAID HE CALLED ME A THIEF BC I ASKED HIM TO PAY ME AN EXTRA 2 HRS THAT I DIDN'T WORK FOR AND THAT IS A LIE. THEY CONTRADICTED THEMSELVES TOO.

WHEN I GOT MY ANSWER FOR THE APPEAL IT SAID IT WAS REVERSED AND THAT I WAS GOING TO START COLLECTING BC I QUIT DUE TO HARRASMENT. NOW MY QUESTION IS I WENT TO MY LAWYER AND HE SAID I COULD FILE A CIVIL LAWSUIT..HOW LONG THAT WILL LAST? AND WHAT ARE THE CHANCES OF "WINNING" FOR THOSE THINGS.

He used to tell me things like I wasn't keeping up and he would always yell at me in front of everyone for nothing. Like one time I came in late 2 mins and he came yelling at me sayins "start time is 6:30 not 6:32" but this other girl got there 10 mins late n he didn't tell her a thing n didnt even marked her down late. I been working there for 2 yrs way b4 him and it was his first time in that department I always got compliment from all my previous bosses about my job and all I got from him was disrespect. I don't care if he complimented me or not but I never understood why he felt like always yelling at me and insulting me.

THNX

Last edited:

weenor

You haven't received a response for a number of reasons, so I will try to explain. First the "all caps" thing is considered rude, like yelling. Doesn't sit well with folks. Second you questions and info are too vague and general to predict what cause of action you may be able to pursue. The burden's of proof involved in unemployment claims vs. discrimination / harassment is completely different can not be a predictor in subsequent sucess with a jury.

Note that an employer is allowed to be jerk and he is even allowed to treat you differently from other employees. However, what he cannot do is treat you differently than someone else based a legally protected characteristic, such as gender, race, ethnicity or age. This we cannot know from your post. Stick with what you lawyer says.

lany00738

weenor said:
You haven't received a response for a number of reasons, so I will try to explain. First the "all caps" thing is considered rude, like yelling. Doesn't sit well with folks. Second you questions and info are too vague and general to predict what cause of action you may be able to pursue. The burden's of proof involved in unemployment claims vs. discrimination / harassment is completely different can not be a predictor in subsequent sucess with a jury.

Note that an employer is allowed to be jerk and he is even allowed to treat you differently from other employees. However, what he cannot do is treat you differently than someone else based a legally protected characteristic, such as gender, race, ethnicity or age. This we cannot know from your post. Stick with what you lawyer says.

One, I was not trying to be rude with the caps, it's just how I usually type "with caps on"

Second, I'll explain a lil better.I gave my 2 weeks notice and 4 days after I gave it I took it back and they said I could stay then the day before my 2 weeks were suppose to be up they called me to the office and said I still had to leave...... I'm the only hispanic in my department and since he started there he would yell at me for anything he thought it wasn't perfect, within 2 months another hispanic girl started working there and the same thing happend to her he would constantly yell at her, she ended up quiting. I tried to solve this problem by talking to my superiors and asking them to move me since I was qualified for any other department and the other departments needed more people but since people kept leaving my department they didn't want to move me. He would constantly yell at me, one time I asked him to verify my hours bc I was missing 30 mins and he just went off and did not want to correct it I had to go to the manager to fix it. He called me a thief once bc I got paid those 30 mins. I have witnesses that remember n were there that day and saw that I left at 4 instead of 330. Something else behind this is my mother has a lawsuit with this company for not respecting her restictions that the workes comp doctors gave her and etc, ever since that happend my boss situation started getting worst and when I left they made sure to remind me it wasnt due to retaliation, but why would the say that if I gave my 2 weeks notice they didn't fire me.

thnx

weenor

Your case is complicated and as with any other discrimination claim it is very difficult to predict and outcome. Hopefully you have reported this to the EEOC as you only have 180 days from the date of the last discriminatory conduct to report. You mentioned your lawyer, make sure that you have one specializing in employment discrimination and get started. Honestly, your case will develope slowing and will depend on the employer's documentation, the employers' harassment policies and your supervisor's deposition.

pattytx

You can't sue civilly without a "right to sue" letter from the EEOC. This is very common and occurs when the EEOC either cannot determine if illegal harrassment occurred or not or, even if it did, it's not the type of case they will pursue on their own. The EEOC is, as you can imagine, overwhelmed with individual complaints, and they can't take them all on; as a matter of fact, it's pretty unusual for them to take an individual case at all. Most are cases where a number of people are involved, kind of like a class action suit in civil court.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">