• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Car damaged at work by neglegent employee

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Maestro87

Dallas, Texas
I have a truck that was damaged at a jobsite I work at. I am a house painter by summer and a full time College Student. I had an employee for some reason attempt to put a sawhorse in my personal vehicle, under no such direction from me, resulting in him causing over $500 in damages to the vehicle. He is arguing that the damages should be paid for by our boss, the branch manager, though our liability insurance is not designed for these types of small claims. Should my company pay for it, or do I have some sort of legal standing that person who damaged the vehicle should pay for it? The vehicle is not listed as a work vehicle, and the title is under my name, having no relation to the company. When I asked for the employee's insurance information, he has starkly refused to provide me with that. Isn't that illegal? I thought it was Texas state law that you had to provide your insurance and contact information when a vehicle is damaged.

Thanks for your help,

-Chase D

Last edited:

moburkes

He wasn't in his car when he damaged your vehicle, so you have no need to know about his auto insurance. His renters/homeowners insurance may help. However, contact your insurance company and see what they say.

shortbus

Usually, when an employee negligently damages private property while on the job, the employer is liable (under the legal principle called "respondeat superior" = "the boss pays"). So he may be correct that he is not liable as an individual, and you need to claim against the employer's insurance.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">