• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unlawful Speedometer??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

andrea555

NEW YORK
I received a ticket for Unlawful Speedomter in New York State, the officer said he was doing me a favor giving me this instead of a speeding ticket. He said just plead guilty and they will send you the fine amount, no points on just a fine. What exactly is unlwaful speedometer and is this a very expensive fine?

xylene

andrea555 said:
NEW YORK
I received a ticket for Unlawful Speedomter in New York State, the officer said he was doing me a favor giving me this instead of a speeding ticket. He said just plead guilty and they will send you the fine amount, no points on just a fine. What exactly is unlwaful speedometer and is this a very expensive fine?

Please describe the exact situation and what happened.

AND (this is key.)

Post the exact citation as written on the ticket with the code number.

Not what the officer said, but exactly what is written.

andrea555

The exact number on the citation is 37542 and it says in order to plead guilty to mail it in , and the fine will be sent to me. He also crossed off where it says you can appear in person. This was issued by a New York State Trooper in Seneca County. I was doing about 15 miles over the limit and he pulled me over asked if I had any points or violations on my license ( which I do not) I have a New Jersey license he was very polite and said I will save you the points and the insurance hike by giving you an unlawful speedometer ticket.

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I think your problem is that you haven't listed the actual vehicle code section you were cited under. I'm pretty handy with Google, but 37542 doesn't seem to return anything relevant.

You Are Guilty

Zigner said:
I think your problem is that you haven't listed the actual vehicle code section you were cited under. I'm pretty handy with Google, but 37542 doesn't seem to return anything relevant.
Gotta work on your decimal points :D
42. Every motor vehicle registered in this state which is manufactured or assembled on or after September first, nineteen hundred eighty and operated or driven upon the highways of the state shall be equipped with a speedometer device which is capable of measuring the speed of such vehicle and displaying the same in miles per hour.
The fine differs by county, but the officer did cut you a huge break - this is a non-moving violation.

andrea555

I know it should be 375:42 but that is not what it reads...they said mail it in plead guilty and then they will send me the fine. That is a bit of the unknown!

You Are Guilty

andrea555 said:
I know it should be 375:42 but that is not what it reads...they said mail it in plead guilty and then they will send me the fine. That is a bit of the unknown!
Well, what are your options? If you knew the fine amount now, and thought it was too much, are you not going to plead guilty?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
andrea555 said:

Nonono...
The section you were charged with violating was 375.42 that's not the amount of the fine. ;)

andrea555

I am not sure why I am being made to look dumb here..Itwas a simple question the cop wrote 37542 as the citation number no colon no decimal just those numbers. I only want to know if anyone knows what this means and if anyone ever paid the fine how much it was. A google search of 375:42 brings up a violation under Seneca County Tribal Indians Motor Vehicle codes with no explanation.

You Are Guilty

Zigner said:
Look at http://public.leginfo.state.ny.us/menugetf.cgi?COMMONQUERY=LAWS scroll down most of the way to the bottom. Or, do a "find" on that page for speedometer

You're looking for section 42

PS: You Are Guilty replied with the exact information you are looking for.
"What we've got here is failure to communicate. Some men you just can't reach, so you get what we had here last week which is the way he wants it. Well, he gets it. And I don't like it any more than you men."

:D

Smiles

I think the OP is looking to see what the possible fine might be, and if it's not immediately clear from any of that section what fines are involved.

I suggest to the OP that they search for "new york speedometer fine" - I used Google and humorously enough the first link is to this topic. :) Or try 'violation' or whatever other terms might bring you relevant information.

Anyway, a cursory glance at other sites indicate that speedometer/other equipment violations are in the range of $60-100. But don't take my word for it, as I did not thorougly look into the matter.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">