• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

struck by car while on bicycle

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JOakes

What is the name of your state? OR

Was struck by a vehicle one week ago while on my bicycle. There was a witness and as far as I know the driver & her insurance are accepting fault. Police did arrive on the scene - but I was told that here in Oregon, if there is not a serious injury/death that they do no further investigation. I was taken to the ER in an ambulance - suffering from a broken left clavicle (collarbone) - not serious enough I suppose! Just looking for some guidance/advice. I have spoken to a lawyer - however I have not retained one at this point. Having never gone through something like this, I'm wondering what I can expect in re: to insurance companies, compensation, etc. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?

moburkes

No one here can tell you how much you will be compensated. If you are looking for any besides payment for your medical bills, then you need to retain an attorney.

JOakes

the lawyer i spoke to over the phone told me that as long as my injury 'heals' w/out complication that it may not be to be my benefit to hire an attorney due to the fact that they generally take approximately 30% of any settlement. are you suggesting that any pain/suffering, lost wages, additional inconvenience expenses won't be addressed or compensated for w/out the aid of an attorney? i haven't gotten much direction from either my or the at-fault driver's insurance companies . . . have had minimal conversation w/ either company at this time. any further advice? thanks!

OregonLawyer

i haven't gotten much direction from either my or the at-fault driver's insurance companies
I wouldn't expect you to. They're not on your side. They're out to pay as little money as possible. That's their job. If you get an attorney, THEIR job is to be on your side. Every single one of my clients have ended up with more (even after my fee) than the insurance company's "final" offer before they got an attorney. If the threat of litigation is not there, why would the company pay you any decent amount of money?

My advice, retain a good lawyer. It's almost always worth the money.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">