• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Other party's lawyer req my liability limit

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

new123

What is the name of your state? california

Last Oct '05, I was in an accident. The other car was dented on the passenger side mid section, driver only no passenger. No personal injury to the other driver. No injury to me. There was a police report. No ticket issued to anybody.

My insurance company determined that I was 51% or more at fault for this accident, because of failing to yield the right-of-way. My insurance company paid me for the repair to my car (minor damage to the front left bumper and fender. No more contact with my insurance company claims dept after this.

Yesterday afternoon (nine months later), my ins co claim rep left a message - the attorney for the other party is requesting them for my policy limit for liability; the rep said he will send me a letter, and that it is up to me whether I am willing to tell the attorney for the other party my liability limit.

Questions:

1. Why is the attorney for the other party asking for this info? What is the implication? Is there a lawsuit going to be filed against me? It was a minor accident and there was no injury. The guy got out of his car immediately, was obviously angry at me, etc. and the police officer said there is no need for a police report, just exchange insurance info and let the insurance companies settle it. He did wrote a police report at the insistence of the other party.

2. Should I give the attorney for the other party this info? Plus or minuses for me for giving them this info?

3. Why is my insurance company asking me this? Is this standard practice for them?

TIA

moburkes

Well, they'll get the information eventually, like, when they sue you. Apparently this other driver is going to claim some medical bills and pain and suffering.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">