• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Who is responsible for keeping parking lots safe from shopping cart damage.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

beachlover428

What is the name of your state? Md

I backed up into some shopping carts that were sticking out way into the road at a Costco parking lot. The manager witnessed the incident but said nothing and just moved the baskets over and into the holding location. In the mean time I had done damage to my SUV. I went in to the store only to end up talking to this same manager who requested me to fill out an accident report. I received a call today two days after the incident and was told by Costco insurance company that though they are sorry it is not their fault. How are you allowed to leave shopping carts behind my car out of sight and I be held responsible for not being able to see them. Sounds like neglect on their part and oh well on my part. Someone should be held accountable and I don't feel I am the one who should be suffering here. If the shopping carts where put away properly and not left sticking out way into the parking lot I wouldn't have backed up into them.

beachlover428

beachlover428 said:
What is the name of your state? Md

I backed up into some shopping carts that were sticking out way into the road at a Costco parking lot. The manager witnessed the incident but said nothing and just moved the baskets over and into the holding location. In the mean time I had done damage to my SUV. I went in to the store only to end up talking to this same manager who requested me to fill out an accident report. I received a call today two days after the incident and was told by Costco insurance company that though they are sorry it is not their fault. How are you allowed to leave shopping carts behind my car out of sight and I be held responsible for not being able to see them. Sounds like neglect on their part and oh well on my part. Someone should be held accountable and I don't feel I am the one who should be suffering here. If the shopping carts where put away properly and not left sticking out way into the parking lot I wouldn't have backed up into them. I know that this is an ongoing problem in lots but how is that they can do damage to your car and just get away with Oh well we are sorry.

racer72

If the shopping carts where put away properly and not left sticking out way into the parking lot I wouldn't have backed up into them.
The simple fact is you were in control of the situation, you backed into the carts, they did not back into you. As the operator of a motor vehicle, it is solely your responsibility to avoid any and all items or obstacles.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I agree with Racer - and to take it a step further - you could be held liable for any damage caused to the carts due to your negligent operation of a motor vehicle.

moburkes

And most establishments with carts have signs that clearly state that they are not responsible for the damage caused by carts to your vehicle. They didn't put the carts there, by the way.

seagoing

As the driver.you need to know whats going on around your vehicle prior to ANY movement.Be thankful they were only shopping carts,they could have been children.

ecmst12

And, if you weren't driving the huge SUV (which you probably don't NEED), the carts wouldn't have been below your line of sight and you would have been able to avoid hitting them.

smorr

When you get into a vehicle, whether it's a little Mini Cooper or a Ford Excursion, it is your responsibility to make certain that you are aware of everything around you.. including shopping carts. When you back out of a space, you need to be aware of the amount of space you have to back out safely. Whether or not shopping carts are sticking out further than they should be is not the responsibility of the store, but it IS your responsibility to avoid them. As the store's insurance company said.. I'm sorry that you damaged your vehicle, but it's not their responsibility to repair the damage.

divgradcurl

ecmst12 said:
And, if you weren't driving the huge SUV (which you probably don't NEED), the carts wouldn't have been below your line of sight and you would have been able to avoid hitting them.
How is whether the OP needs an SUV or not relevant?

ecmst12

Relevant in that the fact OP was driving a car that she didn't know how to control and was too big for her to be able to see out of properly contributed to the accident. Too many people in this country are driving gigantic gas hogs for no reason other then they think the monstrous things are "cool". Contributing to accidents and high gas prices and generally making the roads an unfriendly place to be.

ecmst12

Boy is that ancient. I don't have window tinting because I think it's cool, I have it because it was there when I bought the car and it can't be removed without breaking my rear defroster. And *if* I hit a shopping cart because my tinting prevented me from seeing it (which wouldn't happen because I can see just fine), I wouldn't be here trying to say that the supermarket should pay to fix my car. And my window tinting doesn't make my car less fuel efficient or make life unpleasant for other drivers.

I see an idiot making irrelevant comparisons.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">