• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dept of Labor fined me $1K RCW18.27.200

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jaygal

What is the name of your state? Washington State

Hi,
Just trying to make an honest living. My brother is a contractor and he was too busy to make repairs on a client he has worked with in the past. She is a realtor who buys low, fixes and then sells homes. I am a licensed barber and do just about anything on the side for friends/family and thought this would be a good job. I didn't realize until 1/2 way through the job my brother is not the best as far as paper work goes. He wrote out an estimate with the client, but never a BID. After I was part way into the job she (realtor) kept making more and more demands that were supossedly in the quote. I verified that my brother mistakenly did write "miscellaneous kitchen repairs" which could have meant from fixing the sink to remodeling the entire thing. So my 3-5 day job turned into 4 weeks. My wife joined me as client was upset how long it was taking. We slept outside in sleeping bags working night and day to try to complete this, taking time off my regular job to please her, not wanting to cause issues for my brother's company and reputation of 25 years in a small po-dunk town. He told me just get it done and do what she wants and we will never deal with her again. I received a check for 2/3rds of the supplies I ended up needing and I received a check for a draw 1/2 way through as this was costing me money not being able to do my regular job. close to the end she became irate and threatened my brother's bond for not being done. I paniced and hired 2 other men to come help me out of my own pocket. After the job was complete she complained about the deconstruction of the handicap ramp, and that no new railing was installed. This was never on the bid or discussed, so I refused until payment was made I work I had already done. She complained to my brother and he did the work for free. I still did not receive any payment. I sent her a letter stating she needed to make the payment and I added on the costs incurred to me for all her additional requests she made in which she agreed were above and beyond the estimate...verbally. Nothing was done in writing. I sent out a notice of a lien after 30 days. I then filed and sent the lien. I didnt request court or anything else she called and said she would get an attorney that would cost us more than what she was to pay (around 4000). I walked away from it and decided the lien would either work or wouldn't and had to chalk it up to "don't work with family" and being new at this. Now, 9 months later i received a notice from P.O. to pick up certified letter. I hadn't gone too busy with relocating. I then received in reg. mail Dept of Labor and Ind. the inspector deteremined I was in non compliance and violation of 18.27.200 RCW. $1000 fine along unless I register than only $500. I have lost all that I owned of 25 years in a predatory lending issue, this is why i took the extra job in the first place. I am indigent and in no way am able to afford legal assistance, let alone register to be a contractor, as I am not one, nor do I EVER plan to do that line of work again.
On page 2 it shows 3 different laws and their descriptions 1. RCW 18.27.100 2. RCW18.27.114 and 3. RCW 18.27.200.
1. L&I only claim I violated 18.27.200 so why the other two on there?
2. 18.27.200 states its a violation of this chapter for any CONTRACTOR..I was not a contractor and client was well aware I was Contractors brother doing this as a favor as she was upset brother could not get to the job in a timely matter.
3. I was never paid for any of the work, so how can she make any claims?
4. I do have all the receipts showing materials paid for from cashing client's check exceed the amount she paid.
5. As far as I understood from the clerk in cowlitz county, I just needed to file a notice to the lien as long as i was not a licensed contract. I also had a contractor (not brother) check out the notice and the actual lien and they saw no issues. So was that valid?
6. Is she just trying to get out of the lien or what motive would she have filing this with L&I, does she benefit from the fine? and would you please help direct me as much as possible, as I will restate, trying to get back on my feet again, and unable to pay for legal assistance.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">