• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Distribution Of Assets

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Hoot

What is the name of your state? Ontario, Canada

I recently received an inheritance from the death of a brother, This money was willed to me only. My wife said that as such she had no claim over it and that I could do whatever I wanted with it. I chose to payoff the remainder of our mortgage with it. Now she wants a legal seperation and feels she is entitled to a full half of the value of the home is this correct and what exactly is she entitled to as far as dividing assets go?What is the name of your state?

LdiJ

Hoot said:

I recently received an inheritance from the death of a brother, This money was willed to me only. My wife said that as such she had no claim over it and that I could do whatever I wanted with it. I chose to payoff the remainder of our mortgage with it. Now she wants a legal seperation and feels she is entitled to a full half of the value of the home is this correct and what exactly is she entitled to as far as dividing assets go?What is the name of your state?
This site is for US law only. Sorry. I don't think anywhere here knows anything about Canadian law in regards to marital property.

Bali Hai

Hoot said:

I recently received an inheritance from the death of a brother, This money was willed to me only. My wife said that as such she had no claim over it and that I could do whatever I wanted with it. I chose to payoff the remainder of our mortgage with it.

Well, that was a stupid thing to do without checking the appropriate laws first, wasn't it?

Now she wants a legal seperation and feels she is entitled to a full half of the value of the home is this correct and what exactly is she entitled to as far as dividing assets go?What is the name of your state?
Of course she does. Check with a Canuck lawyer in your province.

Hoot

Never Mind

I really could have done without the negative critism and rude remarks in some of the answers as I was only looking for some help and didn't realize that this was a US Law site only. People make mistakes out of trust of other people. Anyway I found the answer I was looking for on another site.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Hoot said:
I really could have done without the negative critism and rude remarks in some of the answers as I was only looking for some help and didn't realize that this was a US Law site only. People make mistakes out of trust of other people. Anyway I found the answer I was looking for on another site.
Read the top the screen (and if you miss that it is also at the bottom of the screen). It says in RED:
US Law Only -- WHEN POSTING A QUESTION, YOU MUST INCLUDE THE NAME OF YOUR STATE

You may have thought us rude but we believe it is just as rude not read the rules before you post.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">