• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

sexual harassment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sbever

What is the name of your state? IN
I work for a small company. One of my co-workers makes off the wall comments to most everyone in our department. He has gotten progressively worse. About a month ago he was caught by a person outside our department "jerking off" at work after he thought everyone had gone home for the night. Nothing was done to this co-worker. His behavior had changed for a little while but with no reprimand he has gone back to his comments. I work in a department with mostly men and I'm used to the joking but when the comments are made directly to a specific person I feel it is wrong. Recently - this week- his comments have been more and more often and direclty to me. I was under my desk getting some things out and he came into my cube and said "Oh that's a nice view". Then I went to McDonalds and bought a happy meal - I brought back the toy. He made the comment, "The next time you go to McDonalds and order a happy meal you should wear your hair in pig tails and wear a schoolgirl dress. I bet the men there would rape you and I want to be there that day!"

I went to my direct supervisor - from what I understand he told him he had made some comments that made me feel bad. This co-worker then came out and apologized profusely and now spends all his time in my cube and I feel crowded, uneasy and harassed. I went to my HR rep and told her. He called my cellphone once while talking to her and has called me this weekend. I have not answered the phone.

I would like some advice. Did I handle this correctly? What can I do if he continues calling me outside of work? Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated. Thank you.What is the name of your state?

seniorjudge

sbever said:
What is the name of your state? IN
I work for a small company. One of my co-workers makes off the wall comments to most everyone in our department. He has gotten progressively worse. About a month ago he was caught by a person outside our department "jerking off" at work after he thought everyone had gone home for the night. Nothing was done to this co-worker. His behavior had changed for a little while but with no reprimand he has gone back to his comments. I work in a department with mostly men and I'm used to the joking but when the comments are made directly to a specific person I feel it is wrong. Recently - this week- his comments have been more and more often and direclty to me. I was under my desk getting some things out and he came into my cube and said "Oh that's a nice view". Then I went to McDonalds and bought a happy meal - I brought back the toy. He made the comment, "The next time you go to McDonalds and order a happy meal you should wear your hair in pig tails and wear a schoolgirl dress. I bet the men there would rape you and I want to be there that day!"

I went to my direct supervisor - from what I understand he told him he had made some comments that made me feel bad. This co-worker then came out and apologized profusely and now spends all his time in my cube and I feel crowded, uneasy and harassed. I went to my HR rep and told her. He called my cellphone once while talking to her and has called me this weekend. I have not answered the phone.

I would like some advice. Did I handle this correctly? What can I do if he continues calling me outside of work? Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated. Thank you.What is the name of your state?

Yes, you did the right thing.

sbever

The problem now is he has been calling my cellphone every hour today - not leaving a message - just calling. I don't answer the phone but how can I make it stop so I can have a somewhat stressfree weekend??

Multimom

Answer the phone one time tell him to stop calling or you will file a complaint with the police regarding his behavior. If the calls continue, hop your happy little butt in your car and go to the police station and file that complaint.

Your HR has done minimal, but if he is harrassing you outside of work, that is outside of work and you have every right to persue it legally.

After you file your complaint, take a copy of it to the head of HR and file it with the company.

You have the right to feel safe at work and prevent harrassment at home and in the work place.

It sounds like his behavior is escalating and that could spell major trouble. :eek: :eek: :eek:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">