• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Salvage, Diminished Value

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

t9singer

What is the name of your state? Iowa
I was recently in an accident where I was rear ended by a drunk driver. He has insurance and the insurance company has claimed fault in the accident. My truck is a 2005 Nissan Frontier. The average of the Avg. Retail Values using KKBB, NADA, Edmund’s is $22,850. In Iowa, a damage disclaimer is required at 50% damage cost. They say that they do not Total a vehicle till 80% cost in damages. The estimate for repairs is $10,600, without taking into consideration that the sun roof would not close and perceived problems with the drive train. Either and both would put repair cost over 50% ARV. I have a letter and numerous verbal statements that say a title with this damage disclaimer will result in a 40% - 50% reduction in value upon resale. Which if these damages, or new damages were to be found and assessed, can I stop repairs and get the money for diminished value? How do I demonstrate that the extra 40% - 50% added on would be the same as totaling my truck from the start. And if they did not go over the 50% cost to repair, this damage will still show up on Carfax, and I will not get the full trade in value, (25% - 30%). The other drivers minivan is surely totaled, it was his fault, and he's going to get a new vehicle, (other vehicle was a 2005 Windstar). How is this fair, and do I have any recourse or options?
Thank you,
T9singer

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">