• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

lawsuit

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

guzman702

What is the name of your state? nevada

About four years ago my ex girlfriend crashed into me with her dad's car and wanted to make it look like it was my fault, we went to court and the judge said i was not guilty. After some time my ex girlfriend's dad's insurance company sent me a letter saying i had to pay over three thousand dollars in damages. I sent them a copy of the paperwork that i got from the judge, where it stated i was not guilty of charge and oviously therefore i would not have to pay anything. After one year, now they are calling my house hurrasing me, telling me i have to pay no matter what.
I told them the judge said i was not guilty and that i already had sent them paperwork a long time ago.They said it does not matter, that they are going to take me to court and make me pay. Also i have pictures of the accident where it shows clearly it was not my fault. Could that company still make me pay? and if not can you please name the reasons, that way i can try and tell them that. At the time that this happened i was a minor. Now i am 20 years old.

JETX

guzman702 said:
I sent them a copy of the paperwork that i got from the judge, where it stated i was not guilty of charge and oviously therefore i would not have to pay anything.
Your being found NOT guilty in criminal court does not mean you are not liable. Only that the court felt you were not guilty beyond a reasonable doubt.

After one year, now they are calling my house hurrasing me, telling me i have to pay no matter what.
Okay. They can say anything they want. It means nothing at this point.

Could that company still make me pay?
Yep. If they take you to court and get a judgment against you... they can force you to pay.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">