• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Customer Harrasment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

California

I work for a retail printing company, and I was recently told in a meeting that we absolutely have to take harrasment (verbal, name calling, extremely rude, etc) from customers, short of physical attacks!? Is this against the law? I am not going to stand a customer calling me names or throwing things at me just because my company wants me to put up with it.

Tell me if i'm right or wrong.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
You're wrong.

If your employer doesn't want his employees getting involved in altercations with the customers, he doesn't have to allow it.

pattytx

Yep. Your employer has no control over what customers say and how they act. If the employer wants to throw the jerks out of the store, he may. But that's his perogative, not yours. Plus, if you respond in kind, you're just sinking to their level.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">