• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

problems w/an auto insurance company

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jed1028

What is the name of your state? FL

(I posted this before in another forum and unbeknownst to me, I was informed that I was hijacking. That was not my intention. I guess this type of forum is different from all the ones I posted on.)

I had an car accident was back in March. The other driver was at fault and had given me her ins. info. I called that ins. co to file my claim. They stated they would call back w/in 3 days time. No call. Now I, as well as my own ins. co, called everyday, leaving messages and voicemails to both the Adjuster on the file and her supervisors. I left my home, work and cell phone # and that I was available to talk. But still, no call. So I called the State Department of Insurance and complained that noone had called back after 2 weeks. Lo and behold, the ins. co calls back, stating that they've been trying to reach me. I apologize for this: but that was pure BS. Phone records will prove how many times I've tried to call them and how many times they alledgely tried to call me back. Now they did one thing right, they send someone over to look at my car and estimate the damages. Guess the Adjuster doesn't work in that dept cuz he had great customer service skills. But I digress. So after the estimate was made, I again waited and called and waited to hear from them. Again nothing. Finally, a letter. My first thoughts were 'Finally, this will be taken care of'. Silly me. I should've known better. In that letter, this ins. co (if you can call them that) tells me that they feel that I should pay half the damages when I was at no fault whatsoever. That was 2 months ago. I tried again to call them. And yet again no answer, no callbacks, no carrier pigeons, no smoke signals, nothing. Just me leaving more voicemail messages.

And today 7/27/2006, I rec'd another letter stating the following:

'We acknowledge receipt of the captioned claim submitted to our office on 3/24/06 by telephone.

We have been unsuccessful in our attempt to contact you regarding the captioned claim to date.

We wish to formally advise you that if we have not heard from you within the next 10 days, we will assume you are not interested in pursuing this claim and we will close our file.'

Now, first thing, according to the second line, they've attempted to contact me. Again, excuse my french, that's BS. I could get my phone records to show whether or not they called me. Unless they have the power to change that, they are lying.

Second: After 4 months of my limitless(and apparently fruitless) attempts to contact them, they give me 10 DAYS????

And Finally, the adjuster on this claim (the one who doesn't return calls) types her name, title, and phone number.....now the last 4 numbers and her extension have been typed over and over again on top of itself, obscuring the number she provided. How in this world of modern technology does one type over their own number in such a fashion as to make it unreadable and not be aware of it? unless (dramatic pause) they no longer wish me to call!

So, I am at my wits end, my insurance company tells me to take them to small claims court, is that my ONLY option? PLEASE HELP....after all I only NOW have 10 days, Grrrrr :mad:

did your insurance company or the lady's insurance company say you have ten days? I believe you mean't her company and if thats true you should just take them to small claims court. it doesn't matter if they "close the case". its just a thing to try to get you to at least pay half the damages. And as for them not being able to contact you. your probably right that they haven't they just like to say that they tried to. Obviously they got at least your address correct. like before just take them to small claims court. Its an easy thing to do compared to trying to negotiate with them more.

moburkes

You already have the phone number to the insurance company. Why can't you call the insurance company directly and ask for the adjuster by name, and ask for verification of his/her direct phone number. I would also start documenting dates/times, etc of all phone calls. Maybe you can call from your cell phone so that the calls are logged.

You can always call the department of insurance again.

Also, you didn't state the details of the accident. There may be some reason why they are telling you that you were partially at fault.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">