• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

CT violation - MA resident - points?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Smiles

What is the name of your state? Massachusetts

I've been cited by a Connecticut trooper for failure to obey a sign ($75), which he gave to me in lieu of a more expensive ($I-took-his-word) speeding ticket. Haven't been cited in about 15 years, so no other overhang with my driving record.

From what I've been reading about the NRVC and DLC it seems that CT will report the violation to MA, and MA may or may not act on it. MA is not member of the DLC, although CT is; both are members of NRVC but I believe it focuses on failure to pay citations, not violations themselves.

Can someone with MA experience help answer these questions for me?

1) Does CT send violation information to MA?
2) Does MA use CT violation information to assess points?

From my reading various bits out there, it seems that at least sometimes MA appears to "ignore" out-of-state violations, which is why I ask.

Arguing the complaint in court is probably an exercise in futility, but there's no harm in asking the following to anyone with CT experience. (I don't deny I was going above the limit of 65 and since the officer was tailing me, there's not much room for debate.)

1) Are CT troopers required in court to defend complaints (and if they don't appear, is the complaint dismissed)?
2) If so, do they generally appear as a rule? I presume they make the time if required.
3) If the trooper does appear, does the trooper or attorney have any authority to negotiate to a non-moving violation or eliminate it through a traffic court system?

I care less about the fine than the impact on my insurance record. Speeding and failure to obey a sign are both minor traffic violations in MA, and all insurance companies follow a mandatory formula based on how many points you have.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">