• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Car accident involving dog

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ald5078

What is the name of your state? Michigan
My husband hit a dog last July (2005) with his car. The owner of the dog sent a claim to our insurance company (he saw the sticker in the window when my husband stopped). My insurance had lapsed at the time of the accident, therefore no claim was honored. The dog owner now says he will "come after us" to get his $6,000 for the vet bills (the dog lived). Can he do this? The dog ran into the middle of the road, and there was no way of avoiding hitting it. It has been over a year. Is there a time limit on this? Thanks!!

racer72

Tell the guy to pack sand. His dog did not belong in the middle of the road, it is the animal's owner responsibility to control the dog. If there is a leash law where the dog was hit, that is even more ammo for your husband. In fact, if the dog caused any damage to the car, your husband has a legitimate claim for the damage.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">