• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

NY speeding ticket (Out of state)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ssbat

What is the name of your state? NJ
I got a speeding ticket in upstate NY while I was travelling to Niagra from NJ. The court is amost 5 hours from where I live in NJ. I am ready to pay but wants to know if I can get away without any points. I do not know the out of state rules for a speeding ticket. Should I get a lawyer? Can someone help? A timely reply will be appreciated.

Regards

moburkes

You should be lucky that you weren't in an accident. You did not have the permission of the OWNER to drive the vehicle (so he rightfully SHOULD take the vehicle away) since you could get him involved in a lawsuit because of your and your girlfriend's stupidity.

cepe10

moburkes said:
You should be lucky that you weren't in an accident. You did not have the permission of the OWNER to drive the vehicle (so he rightfully SHOULD take the vehicle away) since you could get him involved in a lawsuit because of your and your girlfriend's stupidity.
Your scolding doesn't even remotely apply to the situation, and unless I am mistaken this is a legal advice forum.

With regard to the issue at hand I would always go to the court if at all possible, if you can get a lawyer for the standard $400 and you don't want to spend the time to research the defense yourself it is well worth it when you find how much your insurance will be effected over the next 3+ years

lwpat

New York does not report tickets to NJ. You can pay the ticket and it will not show on your NJ record. Or you can fight it. Do a Google search for New York Speeding Ticket.

moburkes

lwpat said:
New York does not report tickets to NJ. You can pay the ticket and it will not show on your NJ record. Or you can fight it. Do a Google search for New York Speeding Ticket.
lwpat, this is what I found on the New Jersey Motor Vehicle Commission's website:
Violations committed in other states

Even though you are a New Jersey driver, you can still acquire points and penalties for violations committed in other states. New Jersey is a member of two compacts that enforce this policy.

The Driver License Compact
Consists of 45 states and the District of Columbia. States not included are Georgia, Massachusetts, Michigan, Tennessee and Wisconsin
Members in this compact exchange all violation information. Out-of-state moving violations are worth two points. For example, if you receive a speeding ticket in Florida, you will get two points on your New Jersey driving record for that violation
The Nonresident Violator Compact
Consists of 44 states and the District of Columbia. States not included are Alaska, California, Michigan, Montana, Oregon and Wisconsin
Assures nonresident motorists the same rights and privileges as residents
Nonresident drivers have due process protection and cannot be detained out-of-state
Requires drivers to fulfill the terms of traffic citations received in member states or face the possibility of license suspension in their home state
Does not apply to parking or standing violations, highway weight limit violations and violations of Hazmat transportation laws

Six Black Roses

What is up with all these prudes who keep screaming "Bah, you irresponsible moron! How could you have gone 150 MPH? I don't care that it was Nevada on a clear day with no turns. BAAAAAAAH!"

On a legal advice forum...

Yes, thank you, I'm sure it will help someone's case to say he or she was properly and promptly lectured, therefore he or she does not need to pay the fine because he or she will now be a good boy or girl.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">