• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

help! bought a lemon!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

bar10dr

I am from Wv, and last week purchased a car. I took a mechanic friend and we took it for a drive, took a look under the hood and almost everything seemed ok. The only problem we found was that one tire needed replaced and the oil pressure was showing very low pressure. My friend asked about the oil pressure (he not having experience with this particular make/model of car) and the car lot owner told him that an Eagle Talon was supposed to run with a very low oil pressure. The owner told me that it had a very good motor in it and it would make me a very good car. We made an offer (far less than they were asking) and agreed to replace the tire ourselves. He accepted the offer. In the paperwork I signed, I signed a 30 day warranty saying I would pay 75% of parts and labor, $30/hr for labor, and all work being done at this lot. Well, eight days and less than 100 miles later the engine AND transmission blew up. I called the car lot and he told me that we agreed on "as is", I pointed out that I signed the 30 warranty, as did he, and he told me that it would be very expensive, very time consuming, and he wanted all the money up front (it did not say anything about this in the warranty). I am fully aware that used car dealers will say almost anything to sell a car, BUT being that he promised that it was a very good engine do I have any recourse? The words "as is" were never used, just that I would replace the tire. I did not drive this car like a maniac, it was the first time I had it at 65 mph when the motor and trans. went bad. Also, since the car broke down I have learned that my car was not supposed to run with a low oil pressure as he had said. Please help!

L

lawrat

My take: he intentionally concealed a very faulty problem (material to the sale) with this used vehicle -- regardless of "as is" or not. If you got a warranty -- then you didn't get it as is.

As for West Virginia law (read all three sections):
http://autopedia.com/html/HotLinks_Lemon.html

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">