• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Power of Attorney for a No Contest Divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Salle Bows

What is the name of your state? MASS

Husband and I have agreed on Divorcing after 25 years...I have filled out paperwork for a no contest divorce...I live in MA, he in DC....except he started a new job in Iraq.. Do I need him to get a power of attorney...I don't think this will work..Please advise....Thanks, Salle Bows

Silverplum

Salle Bows said:
What is the name of your state? MASS

Husband and I have agreed on Divorcing after 25 years...I have filled out paperwork for a no contest divorce...I live in MA, he in DC....except he started a new job in Iraq.. Do I need him to get a power of attorney...I don't think this will work..Please advise....Thanks, Salle Bows
What won't work?

Silverplum

Ohiogal said:
Her being his power of attorney during the divorce. I don't see the court allowing that.
Oh, well, hell no the court won't allow that! But why couldn't he assign someone else? That would work.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Silverplum said:
Oh, well, hell no the court won't allow that! But why couldn't he assign someone else? That would work.
Because in court an actual attorney would have to represent him. The attorney would have power of attorney. But with him in Iraq, it would probably be delayed until he got back anyway.

Silverplum

Ohiogal said:
Because in court an actual attorney would have to represent him. The attorney would have power of attorney. But with him in Iraq, it would probably be delayed until he got back anyway.
See, this is why you are an attorney and I am an international spy. ;)

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Silverplum said:
See, this is why you are an attorney and I am an international spy. ;)
Cool.:cool: .i would ask more questions of you but then you'd probably have to kill me and that would not make me happy :p ;)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">