• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Does this classify as discrimination?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

biostockman

What is the name of your state? NJ

Hi all!

I have a unique situation which I am unsure of which constitutes as harassment or discrimination. Although it may not ‘technically’ be considered either, I have similar emotional and physical wounds which have been a result of it. Here is the summary of what I have been experiencing at my office over the past 7 months.

I am an executive for a small firm and have been employed here for over 3 years. Early last year I began an intimate affair with the VP of my company who is also the daughter of the CEO. This past January the situation between the VP and I had ended due to outside circumstances. During the following month of February I was taken ill due to a previous gastro-intestinal surgery which I underwent during the month of September 2005. During February I was absent from my work duties for a total of one and a half days, it was during this time period that the president of my company transferred all of my Florida (total of 12 accounts) to our other sales rep. She did this because she claimed that I was unable due to my health, “take care” of these accounts. Back tracking, we had an oral agreement when I was first hired that all accounts which I brought on board would remain mine until I resign or terminated.

Since February, I have been singled out and publicly ostracized in the office on numerous occasions which has brought much anxiety and embarrassment to me. My boss (CEO) has become increasingly angry towards me and has scolded me on numerous occasions for so called work related reasons which I can prove to be unfounded. It is my belief that I am being “forced” out of my current employment. I have been actively seeking employment since February but because I do not have a 4 year degree and it has been difficult for me to find similar compensation. I would voluntarily leave but it would result in extreme financial hardship for me. My health has been suffering because of this dilemma I am going through. I have gone for physiological counseling and am currently and have been on anti-anxiety medication to help me make it through each day. If it hadn’t been for this medication I am convinced I would’ve had a nervous breakdown by now. It is also my belief that my relationship with my boss’s daughter is the reason why I am currently being treated like a second class citizen.

The president of my company has a history of mistreating employees. Most of the sales executives who came before me all have had similar problems with her tyrannical behavior. I do not know what to do, I approached the president of my company yesterday and told her that I believed she was unhappy with me and to “fire me” if that is indeed the case. She immediately became defensive and slammed me with attacks on the work which I do for her and raised her voice to an almost yelling pitch. She told me to think about what I want to do and to tell her tomorrow. Well, this morning I entered her office and I told her I’m going to stay (because I have no choice) and I agreed to “change”. She wrote me a letter today which tells me that the next time I have a problem she will just “let me go”. Let me go for what? For asking her to cease treating me the way she has been? Please give me some advice! I am at wits end!

Thanks!

mlane58

biostockman said:
What is the name of your state? NJ

Hi all!

I have a unique situation which I am unsure of which constitutes as harassment or discrimination. Although it may not ‘technically’ be considered either, I have similar emotional and physical wounds which have been a result of it. Here is the summary of what I have been experiencing at my office over the past 7 months.

I am an executive for a small firm and have been employed here for over 3 years. Early last year I began an intimate affair with the VP of my company who is also the daughter of the CEO. This past January the situation between the VP and I had ended due to outside circumstances. During the following month of February I was taken ill due to a previous gastro-intestinal surgery which I underwent during the month of September 2005. During February I was absent from my work duties for a total of one and a half days, it was during this time period that the president of my company transferred all of my Florida (total of 12 accounts) to our other sales rep. She did this because she claimed that I was unable due to my health, “take care” of these accounts. Back tracking, we had an oral agreement when I was first hired that all accounts which I brought on board would remain mine until I resign or terminated.

Since February, I have been singled out and publicly ostracized in the office on numerous occasions which has brought much anxiety and embarrassment to me. My boss (CEO) has become increasingly angry towards me and has scolded me on numerous occasions for so called work related reasons which I can prove to be unfounded. It is my belief that I am being “forced” out of my current employment. I have been actively seeking employment since February but because I do not have a 4 year degree and it has been difficult for me to find similar compensation. I would voluntarily leave but it would result in extreme financial hardship for me. My health has been suffering because of this dilemma I am going through. I have gone for physiological counseling and am currently and have been on anti-anxiety medication to help me make it through each day. If it hadn’t been for this medication I am convinced I would’ve had a nervous breakdown by now. It is also my belief that my relationship with my boss’s daughter is the reason why I am currently being treated like a second class citizen.

The president of my company has a history of mistreating employees. Most of the sales executives who came before me all have had similar problems with her tyrannical behavior. I do not know what to do, I approached the president of my company yesterday and told her that I believed she was unhappy with me and to “fire me” if that is indeed the case. She immediately became defensive and slammed me with attacks on the work which I do for her and raised her voice to an almost yelling pitch. She told me to think about what I want to do and to tell her tomorrow. Well, this morning I entered her office and I told her I’m going to stay (because I have no choice) and I agreed to “change”. She wrote me a letter today which tells me that the next time I have a problem she will just “let me go”. Let me go for what? For asking her to cease treating me the way she has been? Please give me some advice! I am at wits end!

Thanks!
Nothing in your post remotely suggests either discrimination or harassment of any kind as defined under the law. You made the mistake of having an affair with your boss and while thats not illegal, thats what has created the problems you have now.

Belle360

It does appear that you have a problem. Office Affairs are bad business from the get go! In some instances you can be TERMINATED for an office affair. It seems that you ruined any future with the company as well as your reputation. This type of DAMAGE can not be undone! So don't even try it!! My best advice, keep looking for another job! I hope you learned a lesson..Do not get involved with people you work with! I am sure your other co-workers know of this affair. All it takes is ONE PERSON to find out and before you know it the entire place knows and you wouldn't believe the Gossip that can be created. This is in no form HARASSMENT! Because you CREATED the situation!! Do you realise if other co-workers know about this affair and feel you were granted certain Privilidges based on your relationship with this person! That could open up the door for "Discrimination" law suits! Especially if the other co-workers have four year degrees and better qualifications! You have no case for anything Legal. You have to accept responsibility for your actions and face the fact that you used very little COMMON SENCE, AND ALOT OF BAD JUDGEMENT and STUPIDITY! Good Luck!

Last edited:

ironman

I was involved in a similar situation 4 years ago. I basically jeopardized and eventually ruined my own career. I take some blame for what happened, not all. You do have one very viable option. Think long and hard about this situation?? It is so clear what you can do??

Last edited:

Lisa-NJ

Biostockman

your thread is a joke. You were a naughtly boy by playing around having fun. Now you are suffering the unpleasent consequences**********************************************************************.Did you really think it would be all fun and games with no negative long term effects**************Welcome to the real world.....The writing is on the wall...The company is trying to get rid of you....I venture to guess that you pursued this relationship from the beginning...Am I correct? Did you ever hear of MORALS???? Start searching Monster. HotJobs..Career Builder...and no more Affairs.....

Last edited:

hazeysky

You have no legal argument for anything that you stated in your post. Did you ever hear of Respect and Morality? You may want to read an article on the internet " office Romances" "career Suicide". Do you know that careers have been destroyed over office romances. HR Professionals frown on office romances. It can lead to poor morale, sex harassment claims, favoritism, and a general distrust of management. It is possible that your co workers have complained to your HR about this situation, they may be under pressure to discharge you from your position. Office romances can not be kept secret for very long no matter how hard you try. Some companies are even more concerned that information about sexual indiscretions will eventually be leaked outside the office. This can be detremental to the business in the long term. Customers and the general public will develop a general distrust of the company and business will be lost as a result.:) tI]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">