• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need a good lawyer yet affordable.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

chascomus

What is the name of your state? California, San MAteo County
WHat options do I have if I am going through a divorce, and don't have a lot of money? Are there any organizations out there helping women of a middle income and strugling with previous drug abuser husbands debts?

Just thought I'd ask....

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
No. But you might be able to get a referral to an inexpensive lawyer by calling the local law schools in your area. More recent graduates may work for a cheaper hourly fee. You won't know until you ask. And most new graduates have a strong network of attorneys supporting them.

garrula lingua

Also, Nolo press has a good do-it-yourself divorce book by Judge Sherman - it spells out the steps & provides the forms.

There is also a Family Law Facilitator in most family law courts; that office is gov. funded to assist pro pers in fl proceedings. You have to have an appointment with them & they are back-logged, but they are very good & are free.

Many courts now also send you to an administrator who will check your paperwork & answer very basic questions. The Judges use them to 'stream-line' the court calendar and keep the cases moving.

Some attys will charge you for filling out the paperwork, or checking the paperwork which you fill out, and you make your own court appearances. This is an efficient, reasonably priced alternative to a full-service atty.

Even if you use an atty, read Nolo's book(s) about divorce - it will help you understand the process &, if you use an atty at any point, you will utilize the atty time better.

Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">