• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Divorce - MSA - Health Insurance - California

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

markincali

Hello,

I live in California and had separated from my wife and filed for divorce in Early 2005. When we separtated, we each had our own employers which had health coverage. Due to the uncontested nature of our divorce, we decided to do an MSA. However, to this date, the MSA has not been completed due to availability of meeting with the responsible parties.

Now, as of April 2006, my wife has lost her job (and benefits). Further, she recently has been hospitalized and is scheduled for open heart surgery (without medical insurance) on Aug 3, 2006. (correction made - had put with medical insurance, when it should have said without meadical insurance).

With that being said, i have a question. Am I responsible for the medical bill that will be incured? I am not the one that lost my job and became ill, and am trying to determine my liability. While I can see not being responsible if she lives, what happens if she dies before I am divorced? will i be held responsible for this?

Markincali

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">