• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Car Rental Accident

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kymack

What is the name of your state? California
I was involved in an accident where someone cut me off and hit me in the process, they left the scene. I was so shaken and so was my daughter once I gathered myself I went about my business later finding the driver about a half mile from the accident. The police were not called (big mistake). I did file a report with the CHP that Monday. We exchanged information and sent it on to our insurance company. This was a rental car which I did not get the extra insurance on because I rented the car with an American Express Card. Bottom line my insurance company won't pay, his won't pay(he's now claiming I made an illegal lane change) and American Express won't pay because I didn't actually pay for the car rental through the card. Now I am going to take him to Small Claims court and the rental company is telling me I cannot sue anyone in the state of California if I haven't actually paid out any money for the damage to the car. Is this true?

kym

divgradcurl

Now I am going to take him to Small Claims court and the rental company is telling me I cannot sue anyone in the state of California if I haven't actually paid out any money for the damage to the car. Is this true?
That is not true. But you will need estimates for the repair to show the court, or receipts from repairs you've already paid for.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">