• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My insurance company denies

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

yuyumonkey

What is the name of your state? MA

my car was flooded out 3 weeks ago. my engine is hydro-locked and needs replacement. the insurance company does not want to pay all the amount of labour the shop requests because insurance company says its guide needs only 10 hours to replace an engine but the shop was asking for 18 hours.

Adjuster told me it was me who chose to tow my car to the shop that is not preferred by the insurance company and I am responsible for any difference. he also told me the reimbursement has been sent out and that's final.

I told him I will report this to the division of insurance and he wants me to go ahead because they documented that on the day I reported the accident they verbally informed me that if the insurance company can not settle the price with the non-preferred shop, I am responsible for the difference.

they might have verbally stated the statement but I do not understand that it actually means "tow your vehicle to our preferred shop otherwise you have to pay the difference!". :mad:

If they have a recording showing that they verbally informed me about the preferred shop issue, does the recording really waive them the resiponsibility of the difference?

I did not receive any document from them or sign anything. is accepting what they offer me the only choice i have?it's been 3 weeks and no repair was done on the vehicle. this experience is just awful.

I dont know if i have clarified my situation and I really appreciate your responses.

JETX

yuyumonkey said:
If they have a recording showing that they verbally informed me about the preferred shop issue, does the recording really waive them the resiponsibility of the difference?
Yes.... but it really doesn't matter. Read your policy. I will bet you that there is a statement to that effect. Simply, the insurance company's negotiate 'deals' with certain shops. If you take your car to their 'preferred shop', it is covered. If YOU make the decision to go elsewhere, YOU are liable for the difference.
Pretty simple.

Last edited:

moburkes

You could have gotten other estimates. Apparently the other estimates would have shown that YOUR shop is charging an astronomical amount to repair your vehicle, and the other estimates would have been more reasonable. Your company is authorizing a reasonable amount for repairs, while the shop that you want to use is overcharging.

yuyumonkey

new development

thank you both for your answers.

Now my old shop offers me no charge on storage or estimate for past 3 weeks and is willing to let me tow the car to a preferred shop.after the preferred shop talked to the old shop and understood what should be repaired, the preferred shops told me that what the old shop was requesting is reasonable. they both agree that it is the appraiser who is stubborn about the increase in hours.

if it is proven that it is the appraiser who caused all these hassles and delay of my repair, do I have the right for any compensation ?

ecmst12

I don't think so. But if the preferred shop and the adjuster are fighting about the price, no matter what the outcome you won't have to pay the difference.

JETX

yuyumonkey said:
If it is proven that it is the appraiser who caused all these hassles and delay of my repair, do I have the right for any compensation ?
Simple answer... no.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">