• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

verbal harassment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? MI
I do not know what recouse we might have but my daughter works for a large department store chain and works evenings. this was a ok job unitl summer started and they became very busy. she is expected to do other jobs before she starts hers(she works 5 1/2 her per night). she is told by one supervisor to ask other people to help her if she cant get it done, they refuse to help her and disappear. if she cant get it done she is yelled at(not talked to). the girl in charge of the department leaves the work for my daughter. lots of favoritism, they(supervisors) never answer their pages so she thinks they hide in back. the last few days she has come home crying and is at her breaking point, she has been getting physically ill. her supervisor calls her hot moma and hootchie girl all the time which makes her uncomfortable. he is gay so i think that is why she is afraid to complain. they fire people all the time and hold that over everyones head if they complain. I think she is afraid to talk to the manager of the store.
sorry this is so long

mlane58

driftbuster said:
What is the name of your state? MI
I do not know what recouse we might have but my daughter works for a large department store chain and works evenings. this was a ok job unitl summer started and they became very busy. she is expected to do other jobs before she starts hers(she works 5 1/2 her per night). she is told by one supervisor to ask other people to help her if she cant get it done, they refuse to help her and disappear. if she cant get it done she is yelled at(not talked to). the girl in charge of the department leaves the work for my daughter. lots of favoritism, they(supervisors) never answer their pages so she thinks they hide in back. the last few days she has come home crying and is at her breaking point, she has been getting physically ill. her supervisor calls her hot moma and hootchie girl all the time which makes her uncomfortable. he is gay so i think that is why she is afraid to complain. they fire people all the time and hold that over everyones head if they complain. I think she is afraid to talk to the manager of the store.
sorry this is so long
Your daughter's only recourse is to look for another job. While having supervisors and managers who are world class jerks is certainly not the way to teach kids or young adults to be good employees it isn't illegal. Unless someone harassess an employee because of their race, gender, age, religion, etc.... it is legal to yell and screamm all day long.

hazeysky

Many times complaining will not solve the problem. I would second the notion. Look for employment elsewhere.

verbal abuse

I talked her out of quiting. she only has 5 1/2 weeks unitl she graduates beauty academy. she cannot find a job that would give her the hours she needs. thanks for the responsed, that is what i had told her but she needed to hear it from someone else.

janimal

Her other option would be to call the corporate office Human Resources Department and report any perceived inappropriate behavior. It might help, or it might make things worse. But if she is that close to quitting, it might be worth a shot.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">