• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

GA INSUR LAPSE -- misunderstanding of insurance coverage with new vehicle purchase

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hmm83

Georgia -- my daughter bought a used vehicle recently (still keeping her old car) and informed her insurance agent a couple of weeks after the purchase. She didn't sign up for insurance at that point, as she told them she found a rate at half the cost and was trying to compare coverage. She understood her new vehicle was insured for up to 30 days before she needed to decide. Her insurance co (State Farm) wanted to see details from the prospective new ins. co. before they would quote. Even during that phone conversation w/her agent, they didn't mention she was UNINSURED! State Farm's policy is 14 days, not 30 days like some. They didn't mention an thing, even though later they said they did. On day 20, she was stopped because her paper tag fell off. She was fined for having no proof of insurance, as the officer confirmed the new car purchase and confirmed her old car was insured, but not the new one. He told her go to jail or we'll tow your car, your choice. They towed it and scraped the tailpipes to boot. State Farm agent is saying they told her about the 14 day period, but that is just not true. But I realize on the other hand, it is ultimately the vehicle owner's responsibility. She has been with them for about 6 years, never missed a payment, never been late, never a lapse. A purely innocent mistake. It looks like there is a $350 min. fine. Any ideas or insight??

Thanks for any thoughts

cepe10

As far as the fine, it's an innocent enough mistake that a judge may take pity on her if she goes in a very humbly explains what happened and says how sorry she is. she could get a significant decrease and it is probably worth a shot. Perhaps bringing in any records of having insurance for the 6 years prior would also help.

lwpat

I have had numerous problems with State Farm. They did not need any information in order to quote. Take your paperwork to court and try to get it dismissed with costs and find a new ins. companny.

hmm83

thanks!

Sorry if I wasn't clear in asking my question. I must say I'm not shocked at my ability to hide and scramble my point. Glad some of you deciphered it, 2 points! :D

YES, that's really what my question was in short--what are our chances that a judge will listen to our side and entertain a less severe fine/penalty.

Thanks for the comments/help. That's an EXCELLENT idea to bring proof of insurance history, we'll do just that! And, yes, State Farm is history!

Thanks again,
Cindy :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">