• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Credit Card Debt

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

auddie69

What is the name of your state? VA

I am currently in negotiations with my ex-husband on the marital debt. We had a total of 4 credit cards (3 of which are only in his name, and 1 is in both of our names). The majority of this credit card debt is his. I offered to pay 25% of the pre-seperation balances. But he is greedy and wants me to pay more. My question is, am I technically even liable for the ones that dont even have my name on the account?

LdiJ

auddie69 said:
What is the name of your state? VA

I am currently in negotiations with my ex-husband on the marital debt. We had a total of 4 credit cards (3 of which are only in his name, and 1 is in both of our names). The majority of this credit card debt is his. I offered to pay 25% of the pre-seperation balances. But he is greedy and wants me to pay more. My question is, am I technically even liable for the ones that dont even have my name on the account?
You will be liable for whatever the judge says you are liable to pay. Normally that would be 1/2 of whatever debt accrued during the marriage.

However, that is completely separate from what the credit card companies can hold you liable for. They cannot hold you liable for the cards that are only in your husband's name.

I don't know how much the balance is on the joint card....but if its less than whatever the judge determines is your share of the debt, I would recommend that you take responsibility for paying off that card rather than leaving that responsibility to him. That way you can protect your credit.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">