• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Lost Release of Liability & Guy's Name & I am getting tickets!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rody084

Hello,

I am in a bit of a bind and I am wondering if anyone has any ideas for this:

We sold a vehicle to a guy who came in out of the street and dropped cash on the car back in May of last year. Now we are receiving parking tickets and overdue registration notices.

Upon sale I made sure to have him fill out his name and info on a release of liability form, did a bill of sale, the works. I sent in the release of liability form to the DMV a few days after the sale.

Now we are receiving all of this and when I go look for the records, they have been destroyed by water damage and that was my only record of this guy's information and everything was in there. The DMV basically told me that we are screwed unless we can find out his name. I tried going through our phone records and my notes but didnt turn up anything.

Im wondering if anyone has any ideas of how we can get ourselves out of this situation? (especially before something worse happens that we may become liable for).

Thank you for the help!!

Rody

CdwJava

rody084 said:
Now we are receiving all of this and when I go look for the records, they have been destroyed by water damage and that was my only record of this guy's information and everything was in there. The DMV basically told me that we are screwed unless we can find out his name. I tried going through our phone records and my notes but didnt turn up anything.

Im wondering if anyone has any ideas of how we can get ourselves out of this situation? (especially before something worse happens that we may become liable for).
Apparently the release never got to the DMV.

If the costs are substantial - or the potential liability is substantial - you may consider contacting an attorney about what to do to release yourself from the vehicle.

As far as the DMV is concerned - and the agencies issuing the parking tickets - YOU are the owner.

I wish I had some magic pill, but this is a sour one that you may just have to eat and consider as a very painful lesson.

- Carl

JETX

CdwJava said:
Apparently the release never got to the DMV.

If the costs are substantial - or the potential liability is substantial - you may consider contacting an attorney about what to do to release yourself from the vehicle.

As far as the DMV is concerned - and the agencies issuing the parking tickets - YOU are the owner.

I wish I had some magic pill, but this is a sour one that you may just have to eat and consider as a very painful lesson.

- Carl
Hmmm... just curious Carl.... since this idiot took the time to REMOVE the 'where are you' question... and for all we know he could be in Sweden..... how do YOU know what the laws are in some unknown location?? :D

CdwJava

JETX said:
Hmmm... just curious Carl.... since this idiot took the time to REMOVE the 'where are you' question... and for all we know he could be in Sweden..... how do YOU know what the laws are in some unknown location?? :D
Because I took the time to look at some of his previous posts and I saw that he was from CA.

- Carl

JETX

CdwJava said:
Because I took the time to look at some of his previous posts and I saw that he was from CA.

- Carl
Good call. Must be one of those 'kumbaya, we hold everyone's hands.... California things'.
I don't have the time nor inclination to help those who don't 'play by the rules'.

CdwJava

JETX said:
Good call. Must be one of those 'kumbaya, we hold everyone's hands.... California things'.
I don't have the time nor inclination to help those who don't 'play by the rules'.
What keyed me wsa the term, "release of liability" - it's common here, but I don't know if I have seen it referenced by posters from other states. It is also a MAJOR issue for people here when they transfer their cars. Without it they get hit for all manner of problems.

- Carl

rody084

i actually have no idea what you are mentioning about the "where are you located" feature... I am in California... i would put that in there if I knew I would deff put that in there.

CdwJava

rody084 said:
i actually have no idea what you are mentioning about the "where are you located" feature... I am in California... i would put that in there if I knew I would deff put that in there.
It's on the screen when you first post - it prompts you to write your state. Since most laws are state-dependent, it is generally very important to list the state you are concerned with.

- Carl

averad

rody084 said:
Then why did you include it in all of your previous posts back to 2005?

rody084 said:
State: California
https://forum.freeadvice.com/showthread.php?t=310448

rody084 said:
County: San Francisco
https://forum.freeadvice.com/showthread.php?t=295694

rody084 said:
State: California (selling nationally to different states though)
https://forum.freeadvice.com/showthread.php?t=295693

rody084 said:
https://forum.freeadvice.com/showthread.php?t=295692

Last edited:

CdwJava

stephenk said:
Report the car as stolen. That will get the guy's attention.
Uh ... I don't think so ... the guy admits to selling it! No agency I can think of would dare risk the liability of entering that as stolen! Not to mention that it doesn't meet the definition! (Gads, I hope this was a tongue-in-cheek entry and my weariness has caused me to miss the obvious humor!)

I would think there would be some other way to remove yourself from liability of the vehicle. on the other hand, if they make it too easy then everyone who gets in trouble with their car would simply say, "Gee, I sold it to some guy and I can't remember his name."

- Carl

CdwJava

Job_Hunting said:
Carl, do you have insomnia?
Nah ... work late ... have kids ... late reports ... gotta do something to break up the monotony.

Going away for a few days tomorrow morning though, so I'll be gone til Monday.

Hasta!

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">