• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

how to settle your own accident case

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

globug

What is the name of your state? NJ
Has anyone here ever settled their own accident case?
I had an accident a year ago and had knee injuries. I saw a chiropractor for several months and a orthopedic surgeon. The orthopedic surgeon told me I needed knee surgery, but my lawyer advised against it, because it required that I give the surgeon a lien on my lawsuit. I "agreed" with the lawyer since he felt it would "eat up my settlement",(his words)
As time progressed, and I was no longer getting shots in my knee from the surgeon, I sought another lawyer, who told me he disagreed with the first lawyer, that in fact my case would be more valuable with the surgery and he agreed to take the case.
Turns out by time this all happened, I am in a dire financial situation and can not afford to go to the doctor that this lawyer wants me to go to. He now tells me that he wouldn't want to sign the lein letter either and he wants me to put out money to go to his doctor, which I can't do because I dont' even have bus fare at this point to get to a doctor.
It would seem that since the first lawyer was willing to settle the case with just the medical treatment I had previously this case must have some value.
Any advice on trying to settle with the other insurance company myself

fairisfair

why would you not sign the lien?? I mean you were going to have to pay for the treatment up front, or you sign the lien and they would hold off on you paying until the case was settled. Either way, you pay.

globug

fairisfair said:
why would you not sign the lien?? I mean you were going to have to pay for the treatment up front, or you sign the lien and they would hold off on you paying until the case was settled. Either way, you pay.
I guess made the whole question too long. I was trying to give background, but the point was, now I have no lawyer and I can't afford to go to a doctor and I just want to settle the case on what was already done (the treatment I already received) because I can't afford to pursue any further legal treatment, (ie I dont' have the money or transportation to get to a new doctor) hope that is clearer

Sure, you can settle without an attorney. People do it all the time.

Just call up the insurance company and tell them you want to settle your claim. They will make you an offer in dollars, and you can accept it or not accept it. Then you'll have to sign papers that will prevent you from re-opening the case and trying to get additional compensation in the future. If there are already liens on your case, that dollar amount will be deducted from your settlement amount.

globug

Job_Hunting said:
Sure, you can settle without an attorney. People do it all the time.

Just call up the insurance company and tell them you want to settle your claim. They will make you an offer in dollars, and you can accept it or not accept it. Then you'll have to sign papers that will prevent you from re-opening the case and trying to get additional compensation in the future. If there are already liens on your case, that dollar amount will be deducted from your settlement amount.
Thanks, any tips for dealing with the insurance companies?

Ummm.....Before you agree to their settlement amount, I would tell them you'll "get back to them" and think about it. Basically, be confident on the phone, don't give them any impression that you are a pushover and they can lowball you--which they most certainly will try anyway! Good Luck! It's kind of like being in the bahamas and bartering for goods. lol

globug

Job_Hunting said:
Ummm.....Before you agree to their settlement amount, I would tell them you'll "get back to them" and think about it. Basically, be confident on the phone, don't give them any impression that you are a pushover and they can lowball you--which they most certainly will try anyway! Good Luck! It's kind of like being in the bahamas and bartering for goods. lol
Thanks for the heads up. Being on disability I can't fathom that scenario, but I get the gist of it. Thanks

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">