• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mississippi Lemon Law

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Kjd8844

What is the name of your state? Mississippi

I purchased a 2006 Chevy Silverado 7/6/06 a week later the transmission failed I took it into the dealer 7/24/06 and it still there as of 8/4/06. The repair shop first said they did not have the right tools then they said that they needed to get approval before they replace the transmission and it is on order.
I really need to know if I have a case here. I mean given the short time period I have owned this truck there is only 2000miles on it and it had 30 when I took it from the dealer. Shouldn’t the deal have got me a new truck?

Kevin D

xylene

When you called GM directly what did their representative say?

A bad tranny does not mean your car is a Lemon.

I would certainly expect GM to honor the warranty.

You should complain to GM that the dealer is not capable of executing the repair (they (the dealer)told you this), and that the car needs to be taken to a suitable facility for repair.

Also demand a loaner vehicle.

Kjd8844

Still in the shop after 15 working days

When you called GM directly what did their representative say? The rep said that they would look into the problem for me.

As far as repair yes they said they’d repair it but I really do not want it back now I mean really I know cars break down but for the transmission to go out with only 2000miles on the new 2006 truck I believe is unprecedented. Also the truck has now been in the shop for 15 days straight.
:mad:

xylene

Kjd8844 said:
When you called GM directly what did their representative say? The rep said that they would look into the problem for me.
Call back.
Demand to know what that means. (IE action plan) Inform them of the outcomes you are willing to accept.

Demand a timetable.

Deal in writing.

As far as repair yes they said they’d repair it but I really do not want it back now I mean really I know cars break down but for the transmission to go out with only 2000miles on the new 2006 truck I believe is unprecedented. Also the truck has now been in the shop for 15 days straight.
:mad:
A vehicle that was built with a serious defect that showed up in a few thousand miles is NOT unprecedented. :rolleyes: Sorry, but someting that happens in 1 every few hundred or so cars is not unprecedented... the word would be 'common'

It sucks that the car is in the shop, and 15 days is getting long...

Demand a loaner.

Demand an explanation for the repairs.

Keep on the GM representative.

iljhjb

Kjd8844 said:
for the transmission to go out with only 2000miles on the new 2006 truck I believe is unprecedented.
Do a search for "GM Sucks", or some other similar search string on Google. You'll find plenty of stories like yours. There's a reason why GM is laying off 25K people over the next three years, and why Toyota is predicted to overtake them as the #1 seller in the United States before 2010.

Best of luck to you though.

lawmansldy

the lemon law in ms gives you one year from the date of purchase to prove your case. you have to call GM and get a case number , make your complaint and by all means call the dealer. GM may tell you that the dealership is privately owned, and that he /she will have to make a suitable agreement with you. as for the fifteen days.. been there, done that. my saturn was one month outside the lemon law coverage in ms, had 40,000 miles because i am a traveling nurse, and wound up in the shop for 6months of the 2nd year. I had to have the hood cable , fuel sensor, air cond, oil pump, brakes, a transmission adjustment, and finally a new motor. and guess what?.. i still dont qualify under ms lemon law. my suggestion is to definately ask for the head honcho at the dealership and take no prisoners. And always push for the loaner. good luck.

Read up on your state's lemon laws. Some states say that 3 attempts or more must be made to fix the defect before the car will be considered a "lemon" You DO need to have the dealer give you a "loaner" to drive while your car is being fixed. 15 days is ridiculous.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">