• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Property question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

scrappin10

What is the name of your state? AR

In our divorce decree it says that since he chose to stay in the house(both our names are on it), he has to have it sold in 6 mts(Dec) and the money that is left after paying our debts is to be split. He has decided to rent it and said if I want to take him back to court, to go for it. He knows I don't have money to do that, since I would have to hire the lawyer first. What will happen down the road if he rents it now with my name still being on it and then say 3 years later decides to sell it, my name still being on it. He has just remarried. How do I get my part of the equity out of it, or will I have a right to any money down the road??What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?

chitown

You will need to file a motion for contempt if he has exceeded the Court stated time limit to sell the house. He may buy your portion of the equity from the sale if that is stated and agreed to. At that point he would be free to rent if he chooses.

JETX

scrappin10 said:
What is the name of your state? AR

In our divorce decree it says that since he chose to stay in the house(both our names are on it), he has to have it sold in 6 mts(Dec) and the money that is left after paying our debts is to be split. He has decided to rent it and said if I want to take him back to court, to go for it. He knows I don't have money to do that, since I would have to hire the lawyer first. What will happen down the road if he rents it now with my name still being on it and then say 3 years later decides to sell it, my name still being on it. He has just remarried. How do I get my part of the equity out of it, or will I have a right to any money down the road??What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?
Lots of questions... with only one answer. Get an attorney. And since it is a relatively simple CONTEMPT matter, very likely that your ex will get stuck paying YOUR legal fees (confirm with your attorney).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">