• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

homeowner refuses to pay

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

james28144

What is the name of your state? North Carolina
I was hired by an individual to to modify his existing 12' x 20' deck to a screened-in porch with a lower deck. the lower deck is 16' x 16' with overhead arbors with pickets for his vines to grow across.
I built the roof and screened in the upper deck, installed outdoor carpet and added new vinal shutters to the back of the home. I am not a liscensed contractor. the homeowner did purchase a building permit, but instructed me to only dig footers for the roof supports, not for the lower deck. I did not have an agreement on the costs of the labor for this project. The homeowner spent$4,300. on materials and when I was 90% complete, I told hime I wanted$2,000., minus $300. for tools and money he had already piad me. That left a balance of $1,700.
The homeowner complained of the extremely high price for labor, so I dropped the finall asking price to$1,500. I have spent a month and a half on the project and have personally delivered materials in my personal vehicle, plus approx. 3 tanks of gas. I have also paid $90. out of pocket for a relative to help out.
The buildind inspector failed the final inspection.
The homeowner was upset and decided to hire a liscensed contractor to re-do some things he wanted corrected. He first told me that he would subtract what he has agreed to pay me from what the other contractor will charge. He later said he would not pay me one single cent.
this has been a real nightmare for me, I was told to file to have a mechanics Lien put on his property.
What should I do??? signed: Broke in N.C.

Buk1000

If you were required to have been licensed in your state to do the job, then in at least some states, that means you have no legal recourse against the homeowner. You'll need to check with a real estate attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">