• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

fail to obey traffic control device- 4pm to 6pm

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

h8tickets

What is the name of your state? FLORIDA

I was on a university campus. :rolleyes:
I was at a stop light with a cop behind me and I was nervous cuz htese cops get a little ticket happy. The light turned, and i slowly proceeded to go through. His lights went on, and I pulled over. Took him 5 minutes to tell me what I was pulled over for (after insulting me that I need to get my eyes rechecked cuz i didnt see the sign)

I got pulled over for going straight in a right turn only between 4pm and 6pm (mon-fri). It was at 5:25 pm friday. SO, technically I am guilty. HOWEVER, the lane to the left can go straight without a problem. Obviously this 4-6 order for the lane is there to help keep traffic flowing better during the busy school days. Its summer, so there was not a single car except for maybe one other at the intersection. Blatantly obvious that the cop had nothing better to do, ESPECIALLY after the hard time he continued to give me and harass me with.

What followed was better- he threatened to arrest me for not signing the ticket. I, being the guy who loves reading what I sign, tried reading the disclaimer and he told me to not waste his time and just to sign it cuz he already told me. Then i told him I like to read everything i sign. He pulled the ticket away and gave me a lecture that if i dont sign it immediately when i give it back and stop wasting his time, he'll arrest me. So i didnt want to cause anymore problems, and I signed it. The whole time i kept telling him, "sir, i am not saying im not going to sign it- i just want to read the disclaimer before i sign it."

I know that would be a little difficult to prove in court that he wouldnt allow me to read it and threatened to arrest me for reading my disclaimer without a video (which I am going to try and obtain) since there were no witnesses.

HOWEVER, after looking at the ticket, i realized my yellow copy said for time- "525". neither AM or PM.

It would be pretty easy to assume that since its a time based traffic control device, the ticket should be thrown out for not specificying the proper time. However, do i have the right to get a copy of the ticket/report that was summitted to the county or whatev to make sure he didnt "fix" it after i signed the legal document? And if he did, would that copy hold up in court or will my yellow carbon copy (that surprisingly, the time is probly the only part without stray carbon marks on it) be enough?

btw- he put statute 316 074(1)...the 0 in the 074 SOMEWHAT looks like a 6 :eek:
he also on the reverse side circled the 3 options i have, however under the fine amount for the 1st one failed to specify an amount.

look- i know i am technically guilty of this... i have had 3 tickets in the past, and my last was in april 05 (brought to court and withheld for traffic school in beginning of august, barely making my minimum of 1 year for traffic school). i can easily not get points by just doing this, however this is the first time i was completely insulted by an officer (and the other times the cops did make me feel stupid, but cuz i was stupid) simply just because it seemed like he was trying to aggrevate me to allow him to get me for more (criminal charges?)

i just want to know if something like ticket clinic can handle this and how well theyd do for me- i live bout 250 miles from the county (Orange) and i dont have the best of luck with moving violations so id rather not waste my 4-6 hours on this...id rather get a decently hefty $300 (over twice the suggested fine) fine with no points and at least give it a try to get it dropped tho.

The Occultist

You've got nothing. If you want to arrange any sort of plea bargain you will have to appear in person. Also, you're pathetic.

cepe10

I keep a small voice recorder in the car for just such occasions.... I do believe your copy is an offical document and you can use it in your defense and changing it after the fact is a form of perjury - if the LEO attempts to embelish. I think a traffic attorney might be in the 300-400 range for a basic ticket if you call around and then you may not have to go...

btw - don't worry about the imbeciles here and their ignorant remarks…. I don’t think they get enough of judge judy so they hang out here.:cool:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
cepe10 said:
I keep a small voice recorder in the car for just such occasions.... I do believe your copy is an offical document and you can use it in your defense and changing it after the fact is a form of perjury - if the LEO attempts to embelish. I think a traffic attorney might be in the 300-400 range for a basic ticket if you call around and then you may not have to go...

btw - don't worry about the imbeciles here and their ignorant remarks…. I don’t think they get enough of judge judy so they hang out here.:cool:
Funny...
I would never have thought to keep a voice recorder in my car to record all my encounters with the police, as you have Cepe. I guess if you have alot of run-ins with the cops, you start thinking like that, huh?

cepe10

Zigner said:
Funny...
I would never have thought to keep a voice recorder in my car to record all my encounters with the police, as you have Cepe. I guess if you have alot of run-ins with the cops, you start thinking like that, huh?
it only takes one, and i agree it is a shame but when you live in a state where the state police are currently under a consent decree for conducting unlawful stops - a little insurance of fair play and honesty doesn't hurt...

h8tickets

cepe10 said:

thanks!
im going to call the clerk up on friday to see if they have the ticket yet and see about just having them drop it then. a few people told me if the clerk sees something like this in advance, they just drop it right then to prevent wasting time.

oh, and thanks for the pathetic remark. makes me feel good inside :)

The Occultist

Cepe, this wasn't an unlawful stop. He was in a lane that was clearly marked to not be used in the way the OP tried using it.
And OP, trying to find ways out of it for reasons such as a 0 looks kind of like a 6 really is pathetic. If you really feel you were harassed by this officer, then you can issue a complaint to his department, but you need to realize that it will have NO BEARING whatsoever on the outcome of your traffic case.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">