• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question for My Deployed Son

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bambi66

What is the name of your state? IN

My son is in the Army and is currently deployed to Iraq. He was married in April, 2006 prior to deployment. His wife has started emailing his command complaing about money and other things - really stirring up stuff he doesn't need right now. His command has decided to send him home in September to 'take care of the mess'. He has decided he is going to file for divorce. I am trying to help by lining up a few appointments with some lawyers for him. I need to know what type of lawyer to get (family law w/military experience I would think). Does anyone know where I should start? I also have complete POA for him. I'm sure I will have additional questions as this moves forward. Also, due to the fact he can only be home for 2 weeks, how much of this will have to wait until he returns from his deployment?

Thank you in advance for any advice / guidance you can provide.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Truthfully mom why is son talking to you instead of his wife? If he wants a divorce HE needs to contact JAG and see what they can do for him. But ten to one nothing will happen until he returns from deployment.

LdiJ

bambi66 said:
What is the name of your state? IN

My son is in the Army and is currently deployed to Iraq. He was married in April, 2006 prior to deployment. His wife has started emailing his command complaing about money and other things - really stirring up stuff he doesn't need right now. His command has decided to send him home in September to 'take care of the mess'. He has decided he is going to file for divorce. I am trying to help by lining up a few appointments with some lawyers for him. I need to know what type of lawyer to get (family law w/military experience I would think). Does anyone know where I should start? I also have complete POA for him. I'm sure I will have additional questions as this moves forward. Also, due to the fact he can only be home for 2 weeks, how much of this will have to wait until he returns from his deployment?

Thank you in advance for any advice / guidance you can provide.
If he isn't properly supporting his wife/family that is something that the military seriously frowns upon. In fact, a certain portion of his pay is REQUIRED to go to his wife/family.....its either BAH or BAS...I don't remember exactly.

Its also a bit odd that his mother has his POA rather than his wife...and are YOU part of the problem? Are you refusing to provide the support that the military expects him to provide to his wife/family because you have control of his money via his POA?

It seems pretty sad to me that a marriage should be breaking up this quickly.

Your son isn't going to be able to accomplish anything legally during a two week leave. You can set up 100 appointments for him but nothing is going to be able to happen until he returns from deployment.

Again mom...you may be trying to protect your son's assets but you could actually be responsible for this problem....and possibly NOT with valid legal grounds.

bambi66

Thank you OhioGal and LDiJ for the responses.

I will try to clarify a bit. I have had POA since he went to basic training in 2004 as a single 19 yo and he has never wanted to change that. He is providing the money to her that is required, she isn't getting his entire check anymore so that is the reason she is complaining to his command. Finance messed up his pay August 1st (no deposit at all) and that is no one's fault.

I am not part of the problem, I am only doing what is being requested of me by my son. I don't do anything with the accounts (except check the balances for him), he directs finance from his base in Iraq to redirect funds from one account to the other.

These two only knew each other for less than 8 months when the decided to get married. They met during one of his 2 week leaves last summer and were together again for 2 weeks at Christmas then married when he came home on pre-deployment leave in April. She turned 18 the day they got married. (I know none of this is relevant to the issue at hand, just providing a bit of history).

Like I said, I just want to line up appointments for him in advance with the right attorneys for what HE wants to do. Believe me, I have enough on my plate without adding his problems to it.

Thanks again.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
bambi66 said:
Thank you OhioGal and LDiJ for the responses.

I will try to clarify a bit. I have had POA since he went to basic training in 2004 as a single 19 yo and he has never wanted to change that. He is providing the money to her that is required, she isn't getting his entire check anymore so that is the reason she is complaining to his command. Finance messed up his pay August 1st (no deposit at all) and that is no one's fault.

I am not part of the problem, I am only doing what is being requested of me by my son. I don't do anything with the accounts (except check the balances for him), he directs finance from his base in Iraq to redirect funds from one account to the other.

These two only knew each other for less than 8 months when the decided to get married. They met during one of his 2 week leaves last summer and were together again for 2 weeks at Christmas then married when he came home on pre-deployment leave in April. She turned 18 the day they got married. (I know none of this is relevant to the issue at hand, just providing a bit of history).

Like I said, I just want to line up appointments for him in advance with the right attorneys for what HE wants to do. Believe me, I have enough on my plate without adding his problems to it.

Thanks again.
He still won't be able to do anything in two weeks that he has off. The divorce will have to wait until he is done with his deployment. We are not being rude but we have seen several situations where in-laws have overstepped and that is what it seemed like. An 18 year old and 19 year old truthfully have no business getting married. They both sound as though they need to grow up a bit and rushed into this. It is not relevant and that is not legal advice but just personal opinion. However, legally he is not going to be able to accomplish anything until the deployment is over.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">