• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Husband threatening to take car

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

judester

What is the name of your state? Massachusetts

My name is not on the title of the car I drive...only my husband's name. I am considering divorce and am worried that he can just take the car from me as he has threatened to do numerous times. Can he do that? If so, what can I do to prevent that from happening?

judester

The car is not a premarital asset. We have been married for more than thirty years (since I was a teen) and he has always purchased the vehicles. I do not work full-time outside of the home at this time. I had some health issues and was unable to work full-time.

nextwife

Then the car is a marital asset, and, ultimately, the court will decide who'd get it should you file for divorc, unless you and he come to an agreement on your own..

judester

But it's not considered illegal if he just removes the car from the property before I've actually filed for divorce, is that correct?

nextwife

judester said:
But it's not considered illegal if he just removes the car from the property before I've actually filed for divorce, is that correct?
NO, it's not illegal. He's BEEN driving it and removing it for portions of every day. He owns the car, he's free to drive it where he wishes. You are able to claim a marital interest in a court proceeding. Don't you have ANY of your own money (and, hon, I'm 51 and I have all sorts of accounts of my own) with which you could temporarilly pick up an older small import or used van ('95-'96) for a couple of grand or so? I'm driving a great little Mercury Villager van that is LOADED, leather seats, great shape, that I picked up on a whim for only about $2200 this past winter. Women buy cars themselves all the time.

This country is FILLED with cars! You should have no trouble finding one.

Last edited:

LdiJ

judester said:
No, but its not illegal if you go and take it back either. Do you have any family nearby with a garage you could park the car in?

nextwife

LdiJ said:
No, but its not illegal if you go and take it back either. Do you have any family nearby with a garage you could park the car in?
Honestly, if he's working full time and she's not, isn't it more important that HE have use of the car to continue working?

LdiJ

nextwife said:
Honestly, if he's working full time and she's not, isn't it more important that HE have use of the car to continue working?
That's assuming that they only have one car. Based on some of her wording, I am inclined to think that he is threatening to remove the care that SHE drives...not the one that he does.

However it would help if OP clarifies that.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">