• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

do i have to pay deductible?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Remnur

I live in Provo, UT. i had an accident where i fell asleep at the wheel. I had no insurance, and there was only minor damage to the car(rear end impact of less than 17 mph). i want to know if i have to pay the lady's insureance deductible, or if that is optional.

moburkes

Remnur said:
I live in Provo, UT. i had an accident where i fell asleep at the wheel. I had no insurance, and there was only minor damage to the car(rear end impact of less than 17 mph). i want to know if i have to pay the lady's insureance deductible, or if that is optional.
You were at fault for the accident, and you had no insurance. Had you had insurance, you would not have been responsible for any deductible; your insurance company simply would have paid. Since you didn't have insurance, she will now make the claim against her carrier (if she has collision), and pay her deductible. Then her insurance company will sue you for the entire amount of the damage which will include both the deductible and the amount the insurance company paid on their client's behalf. So, you will be responsible for the entire bill, which will include the deductible.

iljhjb

Remnur said:
Not only should you have to pay a deductible, but I also hope you have your license suspended if it's at all possible. I ride a motorcycle in Provo on a daily basis, and would hate to think that if you had hit me, I could've been killed :eek: .

It's incredible that someone could be so irresponsible as to not only operate a car when they're in danger of falling asleep, but to also not even have liability insurance!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">