• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Hitting a parked car...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

angryvictim

What is the name of your state? Georgia

My car was parked in a parallel spot at a school parking lot. Someone behind me scraped the real bumper. I found the person who hit my car in the lot and got his phone number and email and name. We had a verbal agreement that I will allow him to decide whether to deal with insurance or pay out of pocket. I have a witness to his confession and his agreement of paying. I can't get estimates until school ended and it was summer because I did not have access to getting estimates for him. I emailed him in the summer but he did not respond. I messaged him through facebook and he still did not respond. I finally messaged him on AOL Instant Messenger and he responded. He told me he talked to his insurance agent and that they would need 3 estimates. I have a witness to tell what she knows and that he lied to me to try to make me quit asking him for money. I emailed him the 3 estimates and he ignored them for a week. He finally replied with the help of my witness. I finally set up a meeting where his dad was present. His dad forced me to get another estimate even though the despute was between me and mark and mark already had told me he needed 3 not 4. His dad said that was the only thing he was willing to do. I talked to mark and mark told me he couldn't do anything because his dad is the one paying for it even though mark was the one to damage my car. Do I have a good claim??

moburkes

Do you have a good claim for WHAT? You should have filed a police report, and contacted your insurance company to help get your vehicle repaired. Once that was done, they would have gone after him to get your money back (deductible). That would have been the end of the story. Instead, you decided to play games with this person, and drag it out until now. You are not required to deal with his father, unless the guy is a minor.

moburkes

The police aren't going to come out to the scene, unless it was serious, but anyone can file a police report. Heck, people would only commit domestic violence and other serious crimes on private property if they knew a police report couldn't be filed.

teflon_jones

You only need to get one estimate. Get Mark's address and send him a letter certified mail return receipt stating that you expect payment for the damages according to the enclosed estimate (enclose a copy) within 14 days or you'll file a case in small claims court.

angryvictim

so my 3 estimates are good enough right? I shouldn't have to go out of my way to get another one. I've already threatened taking him to court, but he believes it won't hold up in court for some reason. Maybe he's just bluffing.

angryvictim

I was talking about filing a police report for an auto accident that was on private property. I remember my sister had an accident in a parking lot at a shopping center and they called the cops. The cop came and explained that they don't file police reports for that cause it was on private property and that the ones involved should deal with it themselves. Does this sound right? or maybe my memory is just bad?

moburkes

There is no rule or law either way. However, a police report "protects" the parties. What would happen if one of the parties says that there was no accident at all, or says that it happened a different way? However, no one should be able to stop you from filing one.

angryvictim

Yea I know it was my mistake for not filing one but atleast I still have a witness to his confession of hitting my car and his agreement to pay me. So he can't just not pay me right?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">