• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Divorce process starts today

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tysoncharles

I now live in Wisconsin but was married in Illinois. Can I file for legal separation and divorce in WI or do I need to return to Illinois..??

Also if obtaining a lawyer does it make a difference which state I'm represented from.?

Thanks,
tysoncharles
WI,

tigger22472

tysoncharles said:
I now live in Wisconsin but was married in Illinois. Can I file for legal separation and divorce in WI or do I need to return to Illinois..??

Also if obtaining a lawyer does it make a difference which state I'm represented from.?

Thanks,
tysoncharles
WI,
How long have you been in WI? Have you met the residential requirements?

tysoncharles

I've been a resident of WI only a couple months, since June 1st, 06.

I'm not sure what the actual state requirements are for residency in WI but my wife still has all her ID registered in Illinois and will be moving back there in the next couple weeks during the separation.

Thanks,
tysoncharles
WI,

weenor

Then likely Ill. has jurisdiction because you have not resided in WI long enough. ALWAYS best to have a lawyer closest to the pertinent court house in these cases. Yes there are lawyers licensed in both states but to use such lawyer in domestic relations is a big mistaken. No judge in Waukegan wants to deal with a Racine lawyer. You need lawyers that regularly go before your judge.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">