• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Trademark Classification Overlap?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jman995

I have a question about the classes a trademark can cover.

I'm going to file a trademark for a "pay-per-view" service that can be accessed via a television or through the internet. Now, this falls directly into category "38" (telecommunications). However, in the future, I will also include the following:

1. distribution of television programs for others; providing
on-line interactive computer databases of information in the field of entertainment

2. data processing; retail store services, namely on-line retail store services featuring general merchandise; and retail store services, available through computer communications and interactive televisions featuring general merchandise

Now, my question is this. If I take my original description (not shown here), along with the two description lines above, combine them all into 1 paragraph and file for 1 trademark under 1 section ("38"), have I pretty much defined what I'm intending the trademark to represent, and also made the trademark pretty-much untouchable? OR, would I be safer to file the 1 trademark under 3 different classes? (Original description not shown here in section "38", Line 1 above in section "35", and Line 2 above in section "41" (entertainment))

I want to protect myself and the trademark the best I can, however I only have a little bit of money. If filing the 1 trademark in 3 classes is redundant, then I'd prefer to save my money. But, if there is a loophole that somebody could use to be able to use the mark legally, I
would prefer to prevent that.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">