• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

divorced or not

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? Indiana

My sister-in-law was married to "James" in 1987, in Indiana. In 1989, he filed for divorce. Neither party showed up for the hearing and the Judge dismissed it. She has not seen him since 1989. Over the years she has heard that he lived in South Carolina, and that he had re-married in 1990. Now, in 2006, she wants to marry her boyfriend of 11 years.

What should she do since she doesn't have a divorce order from her previous marriage? Is there a database (fee or not) online that she can search?? If not, can someone advise me as to what she should???

Thanx, Thumbelina58

Last edited:

tigger22472

Thumbelina58 said:
What is the name of your state? Indiana

My sister-in-law was married to "James" in 1987, in Indiana. In 1989, he filed for divorce. Neither party showed up for the hearing and the Judge dismissed it. She has not seen him since 1989. Over the years she has heard that he lived in South Carolina, and that he had re-married in 1990. Now, in 2006, she wants to marry her boyfriend of 11 years.

What should she do since she doesn't have a divorce order from her previous marriage? Is there a database (fee or not) online that she can search?? If not, can someone advise me as to what she should???

Thanx, Thumbelina58

Indiana has few court records online so it really sucks.

If it was dismissed in Indiana then it doesn't sound like they divorced in Indiana. As far as if it was filed somewhere else, that's hard to say as she SHOULD have been notified. However it's not impossible. Her best bet is to get a free consult from an attorney and see what her next step should be.

LdiJ

tigger22472 said:
Indiana has few court records online so it really sucks.

If it was dismissed in Indiana then it doesn't sound like they divorced in Indiana. As far as if it was filed somewhere else, that's hard to say as she SHOULD have been notified. However it's not impossible. Her best bet is to get a free consult from an attorney and see what her next step should be.
I agree. If he remarried its possible (hopefully probable) that he divorced her somewhere else. However, if he did not, then she would need to get a divorce before she can marry.

She could also try to track him down and simply ASK him if he divorced her, and where, so that she can get a copy of the divorce decree.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">