• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

how long must i wait????

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

denrock1078

What is the name of your state? arkansas
I filed for divorce in Arkansas at the end of Jun, and I am confused on how long i must wait until my divorce will be finalized. I have looked on multiple arkansas state websites and they all contradict eachother. my next question is the defendant and i both agree upon visitation, just because i want to get divorced asap, but they live in another state, and there is no way that i can commute back and forth 11oo miles every other weekend. i recieved a notice of joint custody but am reluctant to follow up with it, because i already filed, and custody is part of that. so what do i do?? do i move closer to the defendant (which i can't really just up and move) or can i make it to where they can meet me half way? the point that i am trying to make is that i want to cooperate, but i also feel that my hands are tied..can i get some help out there????:confused: :) :eek:

LdiJ

denrock1078 said:
What is the name of your state? arkansas
I filed for divorce in Arkansas at the end of Jun, and I am confused on how long i must wait until my divorce will be finalized. I have looked on multiple arkansas state websites and they all contradict eachother. my next question is the defendant and i both agree upon visitation, just because i want to get divorced asap, but they live in another state, and there is no way that i can commute back and forth 11oo miles every other weekend. i recieved a notice of joint custody but am reluctant to follow up with it, because i already filed, and custody is part of that. so what do i do?? do i move closer to the defendant (which i can't really just up and move) or can i make it to where they can meet me half way? the point that i am trying to make is that i want to cooperate, but i also feel that my hands are tied..can i get some help out there????:confused: :) :eek:
I am confused, and I believe that you could be as well.

Where do the children live? If they don't live in Arkansas, then the divorce that you filed there cannot handle custody or visitation of the children. The AR court doesn't have jurisdiction over those issues. The children's home state would have jurisdiction.

Obviously if you live 1100 miles away, a long distance visitation schedule needs to be put into effect, rather than a standard every other weekend schedule. Generally, in that case the parent responsible for creating the distance is the parent responsible for transportation.

denrock1078

LdiJ said:
I am confused, and I believe that you could be as well.

Where do the children live? If they don't live in Arkansas, then the divorce that you filed there cannot handle custody or visitation of the children. The AR court doesn't have jurisdiction over those issues. The children's home state would have jurisdiction.

Obviously if you live 1100 miles away, a long distance visitation schedule needs to be put into effect, rather than a standard every other weekend schedule. Generally, in that case the parent responsible for creating the distance is the parent responsible for transportation.
The children live with me in Arkansas. The defendant lives 1100 miles away. This is the first contact that defendant has had with us since March.

LdiJ

denrock1078 said:
The children live with me in Arkansas. The defendant lives 1100 miles away. This is the first contact that defendant has had with us since March.
Ok...then explain exactly what you mean by a "notice of joint custody" and exactly where that notice came from. Also, how long have you and the children lived in AR?

denrock1078

LdiJ said:
Ok...then explain exactly what you mean by a "notice of joint custody" and exactly where that notice came from. Also, how long have you and the children lived in AR?
Its actually a petition for emergency visitation. The notice came from the defendants lawyer. We have lived in AR physically since Feb but can prove residency dating back to Oct of last year when we lived here briefly.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">