• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Car Auctioned off without being contacted

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

miysis

What is the name of your state? MI

My apartment complex apparently decided to repave their parking lots while I was overseas and had all cars that were still in the way towed into the street. I guess they assumed people would see them there and pull them back in. However, as I was in no position to "see" my car, it was inevitably towed by the city on 6/13 of this year. I just got back this past weekend, and after finding my car missing, I contacted my apartment complex to determined what happened. They told me that they towed cars out into the street to make way for redoing their lots and more than likely my car was towed by the city. I contacted the police, and they referred me to the towing company that towed the car. After contacting them, I was told that my car was auctioned off in city auction last week. I have since then checked my mail and phone messages, and talked to my mom (who's name is on the tag and title), and have recieved no notices of my car being impounded. Is there anything I can do at this point? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

moburkes

Your MOM can contact the people who auctioned to vehicle to see if they have records that were sent. Was there a loan on the vehicle?

miysis

The vehicle is in both her name and mine (with an "OR" as opposed to "AND" so that either of us could get things done without having to send the papers back and forth). There were no loans, the vehicle was paid for with my money. I'm not quite understanding your wording - should I cantact the place where it was auctioned (i.e. the city) or the place where it was held (the tow company)?

moburkes

Either. Start with the police. Explain what happened (the quick version), and ask if they are required to give notice. If so, ask for the department that handled this, then ask for proof.

xylene

The aprtment company, the pavers and the original tow company has a lot of explaining to do.

This is clearly on the apartment complex.

Do they have a right to tow the vehicle?

Maybe.

Do they have a right to tow the vehicle to the STREET and then abandon it there?

I would say thats a big no.

stephenk

How long was your car parked in the lot before it was towed? Did you ever notify anyone (landlord, manager, etc.) at the apartment complex that you were going overseas? Did you also give up your apartment while you were overseas?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">