• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

hit and run followup?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

livinginwi2006

What is the name of your state? Wisconsin

The short story is as follows. My car was parked in a parking lot. My co-worker saw another individual hit my car with his truck. I called the police, and reported the accident. The person who struck my vehicle was sited for hit and run. He just had his court date and pleaded no contest.

My question is this...what can I do to get my car repaired?
I have left messages for the police officer handling my case, but he has not returned my calls (i mention this only to explain why i am posting here, not because i am upset I have not heard back from him)...and I don't know what to do.

Is my next step small claims court?
I am trying to avoid an insurance claim if possible.

I appreciate any ideas anyone can offer...this is the first time this has ever happened to me, and I just am not sure what I should do.

Thanks,
Chris

moburkes

People do not understand insurance. Your vehicle was hit while LEGALLY parked (I hope), you know who hit it, and now you want it repaired. If you have collision coverage on your vehicle, contact your insurance company with the information that you have. Pay your deductible. Repair your car. Your insurance company will subrogate against the at fault party for the total cost of repairs, including your deductible. When they receive the $, they will return your deductible to you.

There is nothing wrong with filing this claim, and unless you have a huge history of accidents, this will not increase your premium. You weren't at fault, remember?:D

livinginwi2006

thanks for the suggestion.
i guess i am a little concerned about insurance claims. i don't have a long history...i got rear-ended once and my insurance rate jumped. completely not my fault.

maybe i just need a new insurance company?
i guess i never considered that they would go after the guy for me...

p.s. yes, i was legally parked.

tammy8

Did you get a copy of the police report? Usually the insurance information for both parties on there. Call his company and file a claim.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">