• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Hitting a parked car.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cpathron

What is the name of your state? California

I was reversing in my road , a private road, when I broadsided a parked vehicle. There were no witnesses to this. Anyway I stopped the car and called the owner of the car out from the neighbours house and notified him that i had just hit his car. We didn't report the accident and i agreed to fix his car. The next day I signed a paper stating that i would fix his car. Three times since then I have made arrangements with the owner of the other vehicle to drop his car by a Straightner to repair the damage. Each time he has not shown up and everytime that i see him he is putting off for the next day. Now I signed saying i would fix in 14days. I don't want this thing to continue past the 14 days. What can I do to end this matter?

moburkes

Nothing, really. Save you the money for the repairs, so that if he comes back in a few months, you will have it available. Did you take pictures to make sure that he doesn't "add" to the original damages?

cpathron

Actually the guy did ask for cash but the quote he gave me was twice what my straightner quoted. Do I have to pay him the price he is asking or can i use the quote i got.

CdwJava

cpathron said:
Actually the guy did ask for cash but the quote he gave me was twice what my straightner quoted. Do I have to pay him the price he is asking or can i use the quote i got.
Unless a court orders you, you do not HAVE to do anything. However, YOU are responsible for the damage. And, he does have some choice in who he has fix the car.

If I were you I would ask him to get some estimates on the car - perhaps two from shops of your choosing and two from shops of his choosing, and then you offer to pay the average estimate or have it repaired at the shop of your choice among the four.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">