• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

incorrect info on ticket

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jrp1157

What is the name of your state? GA

I was issued a ticket for going 62 MPH in a 45 MPH zone. The next day I checked my route for speed limit signs and noticed that the posted speed limit is 50 MPH. Is the ticket valid? Is there any chance of getting it dismissed? How should I proceed?

Thanks

BelizeBreeze

jrp1157 said:
What is the name of your state? GA

I was issued a ticket for going 62 MPH in a 45 MPH zone. The next day I checked my route for speed limit signs and noticed that the posted speed limit is 50 MPH. Is the ticket valid? Is there any chance of getting it dismissed? How should I proceed?

Thanks
pay the fine.

jrp1157

BelizeBreeze said:
pay the fine.
BelizeBreeze, That seems like odd advice. I would think that I should at least try to get the ticket ammended to 50 MPH and/or negotiate a reduction of the 62 MPH to minimize the number of points on my license. Is this a better tact than pleading not guilty and trying to get it dismissed? Does anybody have any helpful advice?

Thanks

I think it is important to bring this fact before your judge at the arraignment. The cutoff point for points on your license is 15 mph over the limit, so there is a big difference between 62/50 and 62/45.

You'll still have to pay a fine, but it won't effect your license. Try to negotiate this. Agree to plead guilty if he'll raise the speed limit to 50.

Eric Ehoff

i had a similar situation.... the cop was in a 50 zone but "got me" in a "30", he tagged me from over 300 ft. away on a busy road.... i went to court to fight it... the ticket was oridginally 120 dollars, he said he would cut it in half.... so 60 dollars, but (idk about your state) there was an 80 dollar court fee tacked on that nobody told me about (the fee was "madatory), so all in all.... i paid MORE, i learned one thing.... sit down, shut up, pay the ticket... but thats just from my experience

Smiles

Well, I wouldn't just sit down and pay the ticket if I wasn't guilty of what I was being accused of. ($80 in court costs is ridiculous. I think it's gross that my state now charges $20 to see a judge.) It seems especially important in this situation since being charged properly will potentially result in reduced points and/or insurance costs. But a person has to weigh that against the costs of contesting it (lost wages, court costs, whatever).

Mister Darcy's advice seems most helpful. Be prepared with all the evidence you can (photos of the area, any paperwork a government agency has describing the limit in that area, etc.) to help show that the area was 50mph, not 45mph. Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">