• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

At fault

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

shovelhead75

What is the name of your state? MD

I purchased a new car this past Saturday and I rear ended a truck less then 24 hours later. The damage on the truck was less then $1,000.00. The damage to my car is in excess of $10,000.00. I was at the dealership getting items out of my car and joked about trading it in when the salesperson told me they would have to get a price from a wholesaler because of the damage and informed me that I would take quite a loss. Am I entitled to diminished value even if I was at fault? The crash was not caused by any traffic laws being broken.

Thanks in advance!

JETX

shovelhead75 said:
Am I entitled to diminished value even if I was at fault?
No. Read your insurance policy, very likely that diminished value is not allowed unless you purchased the additional coverage.

The crash was not caused by any traffic laws being broken.
Just curious.... then how DID you rear end someone without 'any traffic laws being broken'??

shovelhead75

JETX said:
No. Read your insurance policy, very likely that diminished value is not allowed unless you purchased the additional coverage.

I checked the policy tonight and did not see anything about diminished value.

Just curious.... then how DID you rear end someone without 'any traffic laws being broken'??
I had the cruise control on. The car in front of the truck was turning left and the truck slammed on its breaks. I saw the break lights and when I went to hit the brakes my foot pushed the floor mat up and it folded in half in the center blocking both the gas and brake petals. By the time I was able to move the mat out of the way it was too late.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">